Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long did your SWG Cell last before replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long did your SWG Cell last before replacement?

I was just curious if the SWG decrease production over the years.
    I have one that is 4 1/2 years old and seems to put out less than it did when new.
    Should I start looking for a new one?

How long did your Goldline/Hayward SWG Cell last before you replaced it?
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long did your SWG Cell last before replacement?

Hi Iggy,

Have you tried soaking it in an acid solution? In my experience it shouldn't decrease output like you are describing unless there is an issue with calcification. The average life for a t-cell is 3-5 years. The longest I've ever heard of one lasting was about 7 years.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Hi Iggy,

Have you tried soaking it in an acid solution? In my experience it shouldn't decrease output like you are describing unless there is an issue with calcification. The average life for a t-cell is 3-5 years. The longest I've ever heard of one lasting was about 7 years.
    I clean mine when needed. I just asked as it seems that I have to increase my percentage of time on to get a set result of chlorine.
    I was just wondering how long they last. 7 years is really along time. I'm planning on finding a replacement and maybe keep this one as a backup.
    Thanks
    In-Ground SWG pool 11,000 gal., Jandy CL460 Filter, 1.5hp Stealth Jandy pump, Paramount PV3 In-Floor cleaning sys., Goldline SWG, Hayward Color Logic 2.5 LED Light

4. Back To Top    #4

you need to take it out and inspect it for scaling and build up...if it has some, you'll need to clean the cell with muriatic acid. My unit is a self cleaning model..but I still take the cell out and inspect it each season. I am on 4 seasons now with mine and still going strong.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

August will be my 7th year. I am starting to see some decrease in output as well although there are other factors that can contribute to that. For the same cell size, theoretically, a smaller pool should have a longer cell life since it doesn't need to be on as long.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Let me know if you make it past 7 Mark, you will be the new champion! Good luck!

7. Back To Top    #7

We're on our third season with our cell. I have found that I've had to increase the output percentage but I'm wondering if that is because it's been very hot and humid here. I did just clean my cell and there was some junk in there.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

8. Back To Top    #8

Mickey it's most likely the temperature that is making you have to turn up your output. When it's really hot out it can make a big difference in how much chlorine your pool requires to stay at the same level.

9. Back To Top    #9

Made it past 8 with my Clevaquip QuikChlor system. One of the electrodes on the cell corroded and began to leak, ruining the electrical connection. No replacement available in the US, had to install a new system.
    13000 Gallon Shasta Pool In Ground 2004
    Gunite/PebbleTech, AutoPilot Salt Water, Cartridge Filters, Ozone, In Floor Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

This is my 10th year with my SWG. I just replaced my cell for the 2nd time. That is to say I'm on my third cell. First two lasted ~4 years. 40K cell on a 12K pool running 6-8 hours a day for 365 days at 60-70% output. I'll freely admit I had no idea what I was doing with my pool for the last 10 years. Someone somewhere along the line told me about CYA so I added that every once and a while, I use powdered shock every once and a while and didn't pay too close attention to my PH (or anything else). I would occasionally check the cell and clean off the scaling with MA.

So in short, they last about 4 years if you almost completely neglect them.

CLB
    12,000 gal Plaster, Aqua Rite SWG, Hayward Super II, Sta-Rite HRP Sand filter, Hayward Ultra Vac, TF-100.

11. Back To Top    #11

I guess I got lucky with 8 years on a T-Cell 15. When I had it replaced last month it was still working but the plastic was cracked and leaking.
    Jerry
    30' x 15' ~ 15,000 gallon pool & spa, Diamond Brite, Hayward Aqua Logic PS-4, Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 SWG, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump , Star Clear Plus C17502 filter, Rheem P-M206A-EP-C heater, Caretaker 99 5-port 1.5 inch valve

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by calm_like_a_bomb
    This is my 10th year with my SWG. I just replaced my cell for the 2nd time. That is to say I'm on my third cell. First two lasted ~4 years. 40K cell on a 12K pool running 6-8 hours a day for 365 days at 60-70% output. I'll freely admit I had no idea what I was doing with my pool for the last 10 years. Someone somewhere along the line told me about CYA so I added that every once and a while, I use powdered shock every once and a while and didn't pay too close attention to my PH (or anything else). I would occasionally check the cell and clean off the scaling with MA.

So in short, they last about 4 years if you almost completely neglect them.

CLB
    WOW! So you run your pool pump 8 hrs a day year round. Hate to see your electric bill.
    During the winter I run 45% 4hrs every other day and it maintains the clear water as well at 1.5 to 2.5 Chlorine levels.
    Late Spring and summer months I run it at 65% 4 hours a day every day and maintains 1.5 to 2 chlorine level
    I also clean my filters at least 3 to 4 times a year as here in Arizona we have lots of dust.

13. Back To Top    #13

Crustfan 8 years on a T-Cell is phenomenal. That's the longest I've ever heard and I deal with a LOT of T-Cells.

14. Back To Top    #14

FYI, it may not be true. I'm new to maintaining my Mom's pool and equipment and double-checked with her. She's foggy on when she last replaced the cell. I thought it was the original from 2004.
    Jerry
    30' x 15' ~ 15,000 gallon pool & spa, Diamond Brite, Hayward Aqua Logic PS-4, Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 SWG, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump , Star Clear Plus C17502 filter, Rheem P-M206A-EP-C heater, Caretaker 99 5-port 1.5 inch valve

15. Back To Top    #15

I'll put you on the record board with an asterisk.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks. Just like Roger Maris.

I read in Pool School - "In almost all models, the cell can be replaced when it wears out, without replacing the entire unit."

Where can I find this part?
    Jerry

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by iggy
    WOW! So you run your pool pump 8 hrs a day year round. Hate to see your electric bill.
    During the winter I run 45% 4hrs every other day and it maintains the clear water as well at 1.5 to 2.5 Chlorine levels.
    Late Spring and summer months I run it at 65% 4 hours a day every day and maintains 1.5 to 2 chlorine level
    I also clean my filters at least 3 to 4 times a year as here in Arizona we have lots of dust.

Yep, I run it at night though and we are on a time fo day plan 9pm-9am the rates are much cheaper than 9am-9pm. The summer the bill is ~$425 the winter its ~$120, but we pay $220 a month on the "equalizer" program.

I'm still trying to dial in the new SWG cell, i've got it set to 50% now, and had to turn if off for a few days. I'll turn it down a few notches and see where I'm at.

CLB
    12,000 gal Plaster, Aqua Rite SWG, Hayward Super II, Sta-Rite HRP Sand filter, Hayward Ultra Vac, TF-100.

18. Back To Top    #18

crustfan, you should start your own topic to ask questions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

My pool is open year-round. I run the pumps 8 hrs April - November and down to a low of 4 hrs in mid winter. T-15 cell lasted 6+ years. The system kept reading lower and lower salt levels. I just kept boosting the salt to keep it working until my real salt level was approaching double what the reading were showing and I needed to set it at 80-90% to maintain chlorine levels. But, it was still generating when I gave up and replaced it.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit