Polaric 380 Back-Up Valve - Repairable?

May 24, 2009
NoVA
Polaris was working fine until the back-up valve case cracked. Strange place to crack - the nut holding the smaller half to the larger half cracked around the whole nut and the threaded part of the larger half cracked directly under that. The crack was through the whole case and almost all the way around the circumference.

Anyway, I had another case from a previous repair. Found it, put the old valve into it and put the Polaris back into operation. Unexpectedly, especially since it had been working just minutes ago, the back-up valve failed. Ordered a new one; awaiting delivery.

Here's the question: Can you repair a back-up valve? It looks fine. The gears all seem to mesh & turn. Hate having to spend around $50 (w/o case) for a new one if there's another solution.

Thanks!

PoolGuyNJ said:
The gears wear.

Scott
So, just because they look good when you've got it out of the water, when you put it back into the case and back into operation, they're not actually meshing & working properly. I get it.

Guess that's one argument for not running the Polaris 24/7.

Thanks!

Does the booster pump have a recommended run time? I've never heard anyone talk about running the Polaris 24/7 so I'm interested to see what the pump manufacturer says about it.

More to the point, I do not know that they sell the internal gears separately or as part of a rebuild kit. If the casing is cracked, they do sell that separately as part G54.

PMellin said:
Does the booster pump have a recommended run time? No idea.

I've never heard anyone talk about running the Polaris 24/7 so I'm interested to see what the pump manufacturer says about it. I've just thrown it in the pool and let it run for days at a time w/o any thought of turning it off. When it's working, it's kind of like out of sight, out of mind.

More to the point, I do not know that they sell the internal gears separately or as part of a rebuild kit. If the casing is cracked, they do sell that separately as part G54. I think you're right about the gears for the back-up valve. And, except for the first time I replaced one, I've always just bought the back-up valve mechanism. Didn't know originally that you could buy just the valve and never in 17 years, up til now, did I ever have any problem with the case.

I just had to purchase a new back up valve as mine was cracked. I got a original Polaris part which is case and gears for 48.21 including tax and free shipping on Amazon. Just a heads up if you are going to spend 50 on just the gear mechanism you can buy the entire thing for less.

Flippy said:
Just a heads up if you are going to spend 50 on just the gear mechanism you can buy the entire thing for less.
You couldn't last Sunday. I only searched on 2 places, Amazon & eBay, and bought the cheapest new one I found. I don't doubt your comment, though. My experience has been that prices change as often as daily, as new/different sellers show up.

Cheers!

CUTiger78 said:
Flippy said:
Just a heads up if you are going to spend 50 on just the gear mechanism you can buy the entire thing for less.
You couldn't last Sunday. I only searched on 2 places, Amazon & eBay, and bought the cheapest new one I found. I don't doubt your comment, though. My experience has been that prices change as often as daily, as new/different sellers show up.

Cheers!

I have seen the prices on Amazon fluctuate in a day. I seriously think they know what you are searching for and raise the price. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.