Thoughts for a new pump

Sep 13, 2011
Omaha, NE
Right now, I have a 2HP Doughboy, single speed. I dont like how loud it is, how much electricity it is using and is close to needing a bunch of replacement parts.

I am looking for a 2 speed, I assume this will save me electricity even if I run on low speed 24/7??

and as far as my filter goes, I can not seem to find what size it is, all the labels have fallen off, but it is a fairly large filter. Attaching a pic to show filter size.

Thanks....

GOOD GOD. Major overkill. From inyo.com "The Size of the Above Ground Pump and Filter System. The size of your system is mostly determined on the size of your above ground pool. The gallons found inside your pool will give you the horse power needed for your pump. A simple rule to follow is you should be able to clear all of the gallons of your pool in an 8 hour period of time. You can use the following as a guideline.
• Above Ground Pool up to 24 Ft. Round = 1 HP pump
• Above Ground Pool over 24 Ft. Round = 1 ½ HP pump"

If the filter isn't broke don't mess with it, unless you want.

I went to http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/prod ... ulator.cfm and put in my zip code. With a 2 HP pump states with 12 hours a day & a 6 month season, you electric cost is $458.55 With a EcoStar it would be $18.15. Now keep in mind EcoStar pumps are normally on inground pools but it will work on above ground and you'll pay over a $1000 for an EcoStar pump. But do the math, That would only be a little over 2 seasons to recoup the cost.

You could change over pump and filter with a Hayward S180T Filter w/ 1 HP Matrix Pump for close to $400 plus cost of filter sand.

I think a large variable speed is also overkill if you have no need for the high power and flexibility, like for spas or waterfalls.

You could get a 2-speed pump for less than half the cost of the variable and save almost the same about of electricity by running on low most of the time.

Btw, you can not believe the cost savings numbers on any of those websites ... way optimistic.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The savings numbers from those websites come from fairy land I think. You're never gonna see anywhere close to that.

You're correct in thinking 2-speed. I like the Pentair Dynamo and a 1 hp 2-speed would be a good fit for your pool. A lot of pumps will work for your pool and as long as you stay in the 3/4 to 1 hp range you'll be fine.

I wouldn't change the filter unless there's something wrong with it.

Thanks for all your input, now I will just have to sift through to see what I really what. My filer is getting up there in years too, has a small crack in in somewhere allowing fine silt to come back into pool. Just too lazy to open it, empty it and fix it. Will have to wait til closing to look at it!!

I don't have much experience, but have a 2 speed 1.5hp for 27' AGP with DE filter. Low is 2.9 amps 1725 rpm, high is 11 amps 3450 rpm. Low can barely be heard standing next to it. I wouldn't spend the money on variable speed. I think it was in $250 range.

Sent from my 4G LTE Droid using Tapatalk 2

fritz614 said:
Thanks for all your input, now I will just have to sift through to see what I really what. My filer is getting up there in years too, has a small crack in in somewhere allowing fine silt to come back into pool. Just too lazy to open it, empty it and fix it. Will have to wait til closing to look at it!!
That fine silt might be your over sized pump pushing anything fine through your sand. I have a full rated 3/4 hp with a 100 lb sand filter and have that problem. I'm going to put a bigger eye on the return. It doesn't spit anything out if I unscrew and take the eye out. Down the line a bigger filter and 2 speed pump is in order.

yeggim said:
fritz614 said:
That fine silt might be your over sized pump pushing anything fine through your sand. I have a full rated 3/4 hp with a 100 lb sand filter and have that problem. I'm going to put a bigger eye on the return. It doesn't spit anything out if I unscrew and take the eye out. Down the line a bigger filter and 2 speed pump is in order.

I will have to give that a try, taking my eye off. I knew, after reading some post, I that my pump seemed a little powerful for my pool and have even thought that it was strong enough push through the sand....

thanks for the tip

fritz614 said:
Yeggim,
I tried your idea of taking the eye of the return and it worked!! at least for a temporary fix for now until I get a reduced size pump. Now I am not having to vacuum that **** off the bottom everyday!
What size is the opening on the old eye? Mine was 3/4 inch. I reamed it out to 1 inch and it works but when I turn on my solar I still get a little blown back in the pool because of the restriction of the panels. Nothing like before however. If yours is a 3/4" you can ream yours out so you still have decent circulation and directionality. I'm going to pick up a true 1" return assembly later this week .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it is a 3/4" too, will have to look later, but as strong as my pump is now, it seemed to be pushing that water all the way across the pool last night, so in turn, seems to be circulating good, will have to keep an eye on it and double check the size like you said..... thanks again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.