Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Greenish brown algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Greenish brown algae

Greenish brown algae.. how much liquid chlorine should I use to kill this? chlorine I buy is 10.5%

easy set intex 15000 L 16' round 36" deep
    Intex 16' round 42" deep SWG pool , 15,094 L water capacity ,1000 GPH Intex Filter Pump Krystal Clear Model 637

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Greenish brown algae

To get started, can you post a full set of test numbers: FC, CC, pH, CYA, CH. From there, we'll be able to tell you the best way to get started.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

katherine47:

Make sure you have a FAS-DPD chlorine test in order to effectively measure chlorine before beginning the shock process. You will also need to know your pool's CYA level.

Use the Pool Calculator to determine the shock FC. Change the units to metric on the upper-left part of the screen. Then enter the liters along with your test results. Make sure to enter the CYA level of your pool in order for the calculator to determine the required chlorine level to properly shock. The shock amount is located in the light blue band entitled "Suggested FC Levels".

At the bottom of the calculator is a section called "Effects of adding chemicals". Select 10% bleach from the drop-down (the closest option to your 10.5%) and play around with the dosage amount until it returns the amount of FC that the calculator says you need to shock.

Before beginning the shock process, lower pH to around 7.2, but don't go below 7. Then ignore pH until the shock process is complete.

Note that shocking is a process and not a 1-time dose. Follow the shock process (see The Shock Process link in my sig).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by phipsi1237
    To get started, can you post a full set of test numbers: FC, CC, pH, CYA, CH. From there, we'll be able to tell you the best way to get started.
    Going to pool store today to get testing done then I will know my numbers. I find that calculator confusing, lol
    Intex 16' round 42" deep SWG pool , 15,094 L water capacity ,1000 GPH Intex Filter Pump Krystal Clear Model 637

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by phipsi1237
    Going to pool store today to get testing done then I will know my numbers. I find that calculator confusing, lol