New Pool build Baytown Tx

Jul 17, 2012
Does this sound like a good deal?

20X42 Gunite Pool with 30' Lazy river, 12.5 Ton Rock Grotto with 8' fiberglass slide, 7x9 spa raised 18" with cascade overflow (6 jets)
Island (~9X10')
Depth 3' to 8'
2 bubblers on tanning ledge
600 sq/ft stamped concrete decking
Travertine 12" coping
Diamond Brite Plaster
Hayward DE 72Sq/ft filter
1 Hayward variable speed pump
2- 1.5 hp Pumps for lazy river (8 jets)
1- 1 hp pump for lazy river
1- 2 hp pump for grotto waterfall
5 Led lights 2 for pool 2 for spa and 1 for grotto
Polaris 280 cleaner
Low voltage power and water to island and to outer end of pool for future pirate ship bow and stern
2 skimmers
9 returns
8 drains
400,000 BTU heater
Rainbow 320 chlorinator
All Hayward equipment
5.1 surround sound system wiring installed with 2- 110 volt outlets for projector and screen.
5- natural rock boulders around pool
$72,595
Is this a good deal?
Also is moss rock better than travertine for coping?

waterworx:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

That's some setup! At first glance, I thought that bid was a bit pricey until I noticed the 30' lazy river. Here's a couple of thoughts that may shave a few grand off.

• 1. LED Lighting. I would go with standard pool lighting. I'm a big fan of LED's for in-house use and I have converted most house lighting to LED as the price for these applications has come down recently and because they are used much more frequently than my pool light. However, for pool applications LED's still seem highly priced and I doubt you would ever see payback unless you plan on lighting this pool all night every night even during the off-season.
  • 2. Grotto waterfall. Water features such as waterfalls add significantly to the price of a pool. Unless it is needed for the lazy river, I would ask yourself if you could live without it and see what your other options are. It would also remove one pump from the list and cut your ongoing electricity use.

I also prefer moss rock over travertine for coping.

Here are a couple of recent new pool bid posts as a frame of reference:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/recent-bid-please-feel-free-to-give-advice-all-appreciate-t50892.html
http://www.troublefreepool.com/evaluating-north-dallas-area-pb-s-t50894.html

Waterworx,

To post pics I find it easiest to have two tabs open, one with your thread, the other with your photobucket album. When you run the mouse over your pictures in photobucket, you will see a box pop up. There are 4 options in the this box, the last two are HTML and IMG. If you then drag down to the IMG box and click on it, it will say "copied". Then come over in your thread and "paste" in the text box. It will paste the link to your pic and when you preview your post, you will see the pic.

Oh, by the way, the quoted price on your pool seems really good to me. Can't wait to see it finished!

Decided to keep the LED pool lights. The builder was only going to give us a $1500 credit to get rid of them. I don't think I could get them put in for that at a later time. The lazy river ended up being 35' instead of 30' and it is going to be 7' wide and neck down to 6' at the exit. They are putting in the steel now and plumbing later today. Will be ready for gunite Monday. Having a problem deciding to go with moss rock or travertine coping. I'm still not sure what moss rock will look like for coping. Does moss rock flake off? As far as costs is moss rock more expensive than travertine? Will post up some pictures when they finish this evening.

bpricedo said:
Waterworx,

To post pics I find it easiest to have two tabs open, one with your thread, the other with your photobucket album. When you run the mouse over your pictures in photobucket, you will see a box pop up. There are 4 options in the this box, the last two are HTML and IMG. If you then drag down to the IMG box and click on it, it will say "copied". Then come over in your thread and "paste" in the text box. It will paste the link to your pic and when you preview your post, you will see the pic.

Oh, by the way, the quoted price on your pool seems really good to me. Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks for the photo help I will try that on my next photo upload.

waterworx said:
Decided to keep the LED pool lights. The builder was only going to give us a $1500 credit to get rid of them. I don't think I could get them put in for that at a later time. The lazy river ended up being 35' instead of 30' and it is going to be 7' wide and neck down to 6' at the exit. They are putting in the steel now and plumbing later today. Will be ready for gunite Monday. Having a problem deciding to go with moss rock or travertine coping. I'm still not sure what moss rock will look like for coping. Does moss rock flake off? As far as costs is moss rock more expensive than travertine? Will post up some pictures when they finish this evening.

You are going to have a awesome pool. Are you getting regular white led lights or the color changing led lights? We have the Pentair Intellibrite color led lights and they put on a awesome show at night. Every time we have a party everyone talks about how good it looks at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Flippy said:
waterworx said:

You are going to have a awesome pool. Are you getting regular white led lights or the color changing led lights? We have the Pentair Intellibrite color led lights and they put on a awesome show at night. Every time we have a party everyone talks about how good it looks at night.

They are the color changing LED lights ColorLogic by Hayward that we can control off the wireless remote. There will be 5 total. Two in the pool itself and one each in the spa, grotto and lazy river.

Here are Waterworx's pics:

024.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

Waterworx, if you want to copy all the links and add them to your own post then I will delete this one.

I don't suppose I've seen a pool with a lazy river... this is going to be fun to watch!

What is the rectangular gadget in the floor of the pool that has 3 pipes (?) sticking up with a cap? I am guessing a drain or a vacuum system?

Moving right along!

imrodee said:
I don't suppose I've seen a pool with a lazy river... this is going to be fun to watch!

What is the rectangular gadget in the floor of the pool that has 3 pipes (?) sticking up with a cap? I am guessing a drain or a vacuum system?

Moving right along!

PB said it was a drain.

Anyone have any pictures of a pool with moss rock coping that they could post up. Still undecided what to go with. I've searched and I'm having a hard time deciding what to go with. The grotto will be natural rock and we are going with the dark blue Diamond Brite in the pool. The decking will be stamped concrete but we have not picked out a pattern or color yet. We are leaning towards a rough surface tan/grey tile for the trim around the pool right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.