Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How deep???

1. Back To Top    #1

How deep???

So friends we are getting ready to build a new house and pool this winter and it's time to harden some of the plans. The kids are getting older so we feel a pool deep enough to dive into is in order. We will not have a diving board just diving from the edge. Our last pool was 6 feet deep and I didn't allow diving as a precaution. The plan is for something around 20X40.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How deep???

Yay for diving!
    My pool isn't deep enough for diving and I miss it. I would love a diving board too though.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

IMHO for diving you need a minimum of 8' deep.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

We are getting a diving board and it's minimum of 8, ours goes to 8 1/2. Also, the deep end of the pool has a minimum size. My pool is approx the size you suggested with the deep end. I have teens and went down the same thought process you are. Good luck!
    28,500K, 520sqft cartridge filter, prism quartz pebble antigua, Pentair Intelliflo SWG, Pentair Legend Platinum robot, date TBD

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a diving pool. It's 16 x 32 x 8. If I was to build a pool knowing what I do now, I'd build it more than 8 foot deep and I'd extend the deep end out farther. If I dive straight down, my hands will easily hit the bottom. If I dive outward a little bit, it's getting shallower at that point and I come very close to hitting my head on the bottom. It's "deep enough" but I would like it another foot or so deep and a couple feet farther out but that's just me.
    I'd guess it would also depend on how large of a diving board you are talking about. The larger the diving board, the higher it is to bounce and the deeper you would go.
    Just sayin'
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mesamav
    I have a diving pool. It's 16 x 32 x 8. If I was to build a pool knowing what I do now, I'd build it more than 8 foot deep and I'd extend the deep end out farther. If I dive straight down, my hands will easily hit the bottom. If I dive outward a little bit, it's getting shallower at that point and I come very close to hitting my head on the bottom. It's "deep enough" but I would like it another foot or so deep and a couple feet farther out but that's just me.
    For the sake of anyone who might read this, I think it's worth noting that a 16' x 32' pool really doesnt allow for what is being suggested here while still being practical. If the pool were any deeper than 8' and the diving envelope extended out further, the usuable space in the shallow would be severely compromised. There are pool building codes that dictate the allowable slope/incline from deep to shallow that you would be up against.

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool is just under 9 feet deep and I would be a lot more comfortable with the idea of diving if it were 10 ft, also the slope to the shallow end plays an important role.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~