DIY aerator - support question

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
My boys made me a pvc aerator. Good news - in 18 hours it dropped the water temp from 95 to 84 and lowered the TA from 210 to 160. And that's with the pump on low. Bad news - the weight seems to be pulling the pool wall inward and I'm afraid the liner will pull away from the jet/washer going thru the wall. I've searched for other diy pics but can't find any that show how they are supported for AGPs. The pics focus more on the shape, holes, and hole sizes. Ideas?

Yes, my bad. I did not provide every detail. I can't just add MA willy nilly and bottom out my PH. So I aerate to get PH back up. Point is I was trying to lower TA (via MA, aerate, repeat) and it's working. I cannot accomplish that without the aerator. But I can't have the aerator cause a leak so I was hoping someone has some ideas on how to support it. The weight is obviously not an issue for IGPs with solid walls and that's a good many of the DIY pics. With the wealth of knowledge on this site I'm betting someone with an AGP has support ideas. Thanks.

Zea3 - it's too dark here now to take a pic. I will tomorrow. In the meantime, it's a 2' piece of pvc screwed into the jet with a simple T at the end that's about 12" long with holes drilled into it. Part of the 2' piece has an angle to get the head above water. Thanks!

Ok. Just wanted to make sure no new people might think the aerator was actually lowering the TA. Nice that it is working that fast.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Is your return hard plumbed? Mine is and the aerator I made is only about 8-10" (I have it slightly tilted to rest on the coping, it sits about 1/2" above when straight up) but even without being tilted it doesn't seem to be putting any pressure on the wall. I'm assuming this is because of the external hard pipe providing most of the support.

No, it has flexible black tubing from the pump to the return. And my fear happened. It's leaking around the jet and water is going between the liner and the wall. How do we fix it? Drain the pool to below the jet and take it out? Maybe it's just pulled the seal out of place? Because the liner looks to still be behind it. UGH. Any help would be much appreciated. Lesson learned. The pull was so slight that I didn't notice till I happened to be at the right angle to the wall to see the flex in the wall.

I've been lucky so far and haven't had any liner problems. I've seen people suggest patches before depending on the circumstance, so there might be an easy fix. Someone will likely chime in with good advice soon.

:bump:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.