Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY aerator - support question

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY aerator - support question

My boys made me a pvc aerator. Good news - in 18 hours it dropped the water temp from 95 to 84 and lowered the TA from 210 to 160. And that's with the pump on low. Bad news - the weight seems to be pulling the pool wall inward and I'm afraid the liner will pull away from the jet/washer going thru the wall. I've searched for other diy pics but can't find any that show how they are supported for AGPs. The pics focus more on the shape, holes, and hole sizes. Ideas?
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY aerator - support question

An aerator does not lower TA ... so that is odd. Unless you were adding acid and allowing the aeration to raise the pH and then repeating.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you post a picture of the aerator in use? That will give us a better idea what solution may work for you.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, my bad. I did not provide every detail. I can't just add MA willy nilly and bottom out my PH. So I aerate to get PH back up. Point is I was trying to lower TA (via MA, aerate, repeat) and it's working. I cannot accomplish that without the aerator. But I can't have the aerator cause a leak so I was hoping someone has some ideas on how to support it. The weight is obviously not an issue for IGPs with solid walls and that's a good many of the DIY pics. With the wealth of knowledge on this site I'm betting someone with an AGP has support ideas. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

Zea3 - it's too dark here now to take a pic. I will tomorrow. In the meantime, it's a 2' piece of pvc screwed into the jet with a simple T at the end that's about 12" long with holes drilled into it. Part of the 2' piece has an angle to get the head above water. Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. Just wanted to make sure no new people might think the aerator was actually lowering the TA. Nice that it is working that fast.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Is your return hard plumbed? Mine is and the aerator I made is only about 8-10" (I have it slightly tilted to rest on the coping, it sits about 1/2" above when straight up) but even without being tilted it doesn't seem to be putting any pressure on the wall. I'm assuming this is because of the external hard pipe providing most of the support.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]