Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Change diving board?

1. Back To Top    #1

Change diving board?

Our pool came with a standard 6 ft diving board. My kids have noted several times that it has nearly no spring to it like "grandma and grandpa's pool had"
    Can it be swapped for an 8 ft board? I realize this would mean the board would hang over the water an additional 2 ft, but I must say I'm unimpressed with this board as well. If it can't spring with my 200 lbs, I know it's got to be lame for the kids.

18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Change diving board?

That would put you too close to the slope of the pool so the answer is no. It needs to be short which makes it stiff. Get a decent quality one, not cheap a one. It'll take a pounding, literally.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Any recommendations on a decent 6 ft board with some spring?

18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Nope. There is little spring available or intended for safety with short boards. Most pool designs won't allow it.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Bummer thanks for the information.

TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

You may want to look at the specifications for boards on the SR Smith web site. Depending on the stand, an 8' board may not hang into the pool the extra 2'. Some stands have cantilever leaf springs that install a similar distance away from the pool.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jmhjgh
    You may want to look at the specifications for boards on the SR Smith web site. Depending on the stand, an 8' board may not hang into the pool the extra 2'. Some stands have cantilever leaf springs that install a similar distance away from the pool.
    Interesting. I'll check that out. Thanks!
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir