Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain Intex pool via filter pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain Intex pool via filter pump

Hello everybody!

I am attempting to drain my 15' Intex AGP. I am having to try and use my filter pump to accomplish this because the cheap plastic drain fitting I am supposed to attach my garden hose to, broke.

I have successfully drained almost half using a 100' backwash hose attached to the bottom outlet of the pump and a plastic pool hose weighed down to the bottom of the pool. However, I go outside to find the pump is no longer sucking any water. I inspected the hoses and fittings and can't find any air leaks. It seems I can't keep the hose primed and/or the pump is pumping out faster then whats coming in.

Any suggestions?

Mark
    Twotone315 :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain Intex pool via filter pump

I went to a hardware store and bought a sump pump. 3000 gph for 80 bux made draining the pool quick and easy!
    18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame
    2650 Intex Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I was thinking about doing that. I finally got it working again. It was a priming problem. We'll see how long it goes for.

4. Back To Top    #4

Spoke too soon. Back to loosing prime. Should I elevate the discharge hose above the pump at all?

5. Back To Top    #5

I think with these style pumps that the lower the water level gets the harder it will be for the pump to remain primed. The sump pump I got emptied my pool so fast that I had started draining and doing all my work and refilling it all the same day and dosed it that night still so it was well worth the money.
    18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame
    2650 Intex Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I ended up renting a sump pump for $25. Took the water out in no time flat. Thanks fellas.