Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Having an issue with a new fill...

1. Back To Top    #1

Having an issue with a new fill...

I had a new liner installed last Thursday, by Friday I had the pool filled and started the balancing procedures. I have all the numbers in line except maybe the cya. I put enough in to get to 50, but even today it is still only reading abou 35-ish. So I will deal with that. The problem I am having is it is refusing to hold chlorine.

The water has always remained crystal clear and sparkily with no visible signs of algae, but the chlorine levels fall quickly and I alway have a cc of 1 if I don't keep it at shock level.

Here is my latest effort to combat this issue: On Tuesday I brought it back up to shock level 20 ppm and kept it there all day Tuesday, got in and brushed it down real good (no signs of algae), kept it at shock level Wed., got in and brushed real good again, took a reading Wed night:

TC 21.5
    CC .5
    TC 22
    ph didn't test
    TA 100
    cya 35-ish (is supposed to be 50, but hasn't made it there yet)

I got home from work this morning after performing an OCLT and these were my results:

FC 21
    CC 0
    TC 21

Hooray, I passed! Well, the excitement didn't last long. I went to bed and got up around 4 and decided to test again.

FC 7.5
    CC 1
    TC 8.5

So, I bumped it back up to 20 and will start over. I know the chlorine is dropping because my cya isn't up where it needs to be, and I will correct that when I get the CC's straightened out. Like I said the water is crystal clear, looks like glass when the pump is off, but I can't get the CC to clear up. I need to go test again, but we've just had a major storm blow in and it's nasty out there. Any suggestions on what might be causing this? I know you guys and gals have helped me in the past and I really appriciate all you do! Thanks in advance.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Having an issue with a new fill...

Not sure what is causing it, but the solution as you are doing is keeping the pool at shock level.

The 30ppm CYA should be doing a pretty good job protecting the FC, with the losses you are seeing, I would think there is something going on in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, the CC didn't get there with the fill water, or the liner, which only leaves the filter and the ladder. Was the filter running all night? Is there a load of organics in the strainer basket? That's part of the water, even if it's not in the pool itself. The ladder is easy to check. Nothing growing inside the uprights? Nothing hidden under or in the treads?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard not that I noticed, I will check again tomorrow when I get off work. I have had the filter running since I've refilled the pool, so the basket was empty, but I will check that tomorrow as well, thanks!
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard, THANK YOU!! I braved to storm and ran out to check the skimmer (admit I forgot to check this morning). We must have had a storm here last night, because it was FULL of leaves). I never even gave it a thought because I work in a different town and there were no storms there last night, so now maybe I can get this cleared up.
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum