New Pool

Jun 29, 2012
Glen Burnie, MD
Just had our pool installed and working on landscaping. My yard behind the pool is about 16" higher than the front. I need to do rocks, a wall, etc. Looking for advice on which route to go.

I thought of a wall, but a friend said use Grade 8 rock to fill in the two feet around the pool and 16" high. Where the back of the pool is, a deck will cover anything I put down and never be seen.
Here are a few pics of the ground and pool:

I would think if you backfilled with your dirt and created a swale to redirect your water away from the pool, you would be good to go. When you add the deck, you could add gravel on top if the fill dirt to act as weed mulch, if wanted. Most above ground pools can be buried to within a foot or so of the top seat (top rail).

Do a search for "buried" here at TFP.

I filled my similar area in with cedar chips, they are an inexpensive landscaping option that, I think, looks nice, they are also super absorbent.
This summer I got some 4" high plastic lawn edging and ran that around the base of the pool so the cedar chips come in contact with that and not the side of the pool wall.
One could even extend the cedar chips out a couple of feet from the pool and put plants in there. All in all I think it looks nice and any weeds that start growing in it pull right out.

techguy said:
I would think if you backfilled with your dirt and created a swale to redirect your water away from the pool, you would be good to go. When you add the deck, you could add gravel on top if the fill dirt to act as weed mulch, if wanted. Most above ground pools can be buried to within a foot or so of the top seat (top rail).

Do a search for "buried" here at TFP.

I'll use your idea about filling in with dirt, then doing a swell. I'm just worried with rain the dirt will slowly move towards the pool. When I put a deck up, I want to make sure I don't have to climb under and do any fixing.

Thanx all for the ideas!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.