Backwashing with DE added

Will backwashing in your yard cause any environmental dangers or any health related issues to surrounding property owners? Sorry for my rookiness, but I really know nothing about DE filters and I am trying to learn all I can.

There are certainly health concerns with breathing it in. And some locations do not allow you to backwash the DE into the yards due to environmental concerns.

There are fibrous alternatives to DE that are biodegradable that are starting to be more price competitive.

jblizzle said:
There are certainly health concerns with breathing it in. And some locations do not allow you to backwash the DE into the yards due to environmental concerns.

There are fibrous alternatives to DE that are biodegradable that are starting to be more price competitive.
Yeah I saw a product called fiberclear. I read all the reviews and some loved it and some said it caused algea problems. There is also Zeoclear or Zeolite? I really want a DE filter, but I really don't want problems or cause any environmental problems or harm to neighbors. I also don't want to rely on iffy products. I also like the fact that when I supershock my pool in the initial opening and it turns brown from the shock, the sand filter will clean the pool clear overnight and I can just back wash out the gunk and go on with my day! It looks like the DE filter will be allot of work to clean after a bout of algae or Brown water. This is driving me nuts.

I just added DE to my sand filter today. It took 3/4 of a cup to raise the pressure. It went up 1.5 lbs on the last 1/4 cup I added. Four hours later my pressure was up to about 35% higher, so I backwashed and rinsed. And, yes, I've got a whole lot more I can dump in now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.