Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dropping PH while out of town...

1. Back To Top    #1

Dropping PH while out of town...

I've been trying to keep my ph at 7.2, due to my high TA (>200), to try and prevent scaling of the SWG plates. To do this I have been adding acid every day or every other day to drop it from around 7.5. My question is since I am going out of town for a few days would it be harmful to drop it to say 6.8 and let it climb back up while i'm out of town?
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dropping PH while out of town...

With high TA, lowering PH to 6.8 is probably fine. I wouldn't normally go that low, but high TA will drive it up quickly so there shouldn't be an issue. However, it won't extend the time that the PH stays reasonable by very long. The lower the PH, the faster it goes up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Gotcha. I've been keeping it at 7.2, no lower but the one time I did let it go up to 7.8 I got some scaling on the SWG plate and I'm afraid when I get back i may have enough scaling to let the FC dip below the 5ppm range. Thanks for the info.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have room to move on CYA at all, you could drop a 3" puck in a floater. That would help keep pH down and perhaps handle FC in case the SWG stops working due to scaling.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    If you have room to move on CYA at all, you could drop a 3" puck in a floater. That would help keep pH down and perhaps handle FC in case the SWG stops working due to scaling.
    Hmm, might be worth looking into. I'm still waiting for CYA in sock to dissolve but I aimed for 75 so if the pool calculator is close I don't want to go over. Only going to be out of town for 3 days but if something does go wrong I'll definitely look into this for next time.

Do they have anything that is slow release for PH...like a puck but acidic? Also couldn't find it exactly. How much does a 3" chlorine tablet drop PH? I hear everyone say they increase chlorine and cya but forgot they dropped PH.

6. Back To Top    #6

How fast does dry acid dissolve? I was curious if I bought some dry acid and put it in a bottle with a few holes punched in it if it would act as a slow release or do you think it would all dissolve pretty fast?

7. Back To Top    #7

That could work in theory, but it is going to be quite difficult to calibrate the correct hole size/number. It could easily dissolve too slowly or too quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School