Moving to the next level: Pool sound system

Jul 7, 2012
Athens, Greece
Hello everyone, I decided it was time to move to the next level and install a sound system, I seem to spend lots of time in my pool and sometimes had to come out and get in the house to watch the 8 o'clock news.

It occurred to me that I usually do not sit and look at the TV but do something else instead, while just listening to the news, so only sound was important, I had to carry sound closer to the pool.

I looked at was available lying around in the house, came up with some old speakers / amp combo that was maybe 30 years old, this looked good for what I wanted to do, it needed a power source or could be run on batteries.

I decided to use an old AC/AC transformer, this came from a 50 year old magnetic doorbell, had to install a simple rectifier circuit (4 diodes and one electrolytic capacitor) inside the speaker / amp enclosure to convert that to DC as required. The amp specified 6 Volts DC and I had only 4 Volts or 8 Volts coming out of the transformer, I tried both voltages and went with the 4 Volts, as there was no audible difference in sound quality at all.

This thing is connected via (long) cable to the earphone port of my TV, also it can be connected to a computer's sound card if needed, but its main use (for now) is to carry the TV's sound to the pool.

Here are some pics of what I did.

DSC00252_800.jpg

DSC00253_800.jpg

DSC00256_800.jpg

DSC00258_800.jpg

DSC00262_800.jpg

DSC00263_800.jpg

DSC00268_800.jpg

DSC00272_800.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.