Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bacquacil conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

bacquacil conversion

I am ready to take the plunge.

I have been reading other entries and I am excited for this endeavor.

My question is , can I start conversion while there is bacquacil chemicals in water. My sanitizer number is 20.

I was told by the pool people that there cannot be any presence of bacquacil in water before conversion starts. They warn that the water will turn to a jello like substance if I have bacquacil in water.

Thanks in advance

Andrei
    16,350 gallon, 18'x34' 4.5' throughout
    above ground
    sand filter
    1.5 hp dual speed
    3 years old
    vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bacquacil conversion

Welcome to tfp, Andrei

You can start with the 20 ppm baqua reading...of course, do not put anymore in now. It will probably cause baqua goo even with a lower sanitizer level. I am assuming you have read?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ine_conversion
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have read the post I have not added bacquacil in 3 weeks. Will this make the process longer. Also are there any special instructions?
    Thank you for your quick reply
    above ground
    sand filter
    1.5 hp dual speed
    3 years old
    vinyl liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by avg24
    I have read the post I have not added bacquacil in 3 weeks. Will this make the process longer.
    I am not an expert (never did one directly myself), but many on here have switched directly from doing baqua. The only way to lessen the length of conversion, is to wait and let the baqua residual decay, which could take awhile and in the meantime you might pick up a higher algae load that would likely slow down the conversion process.

Also are there any special instructions?
    Other than be ready to dedicate some time to it, that pool school article does a great job explaining the process. Make sure you get an appropriate test kit, you probably should get the TF-100, since you will need a lot of reagents.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

i havent done it (i nerver head of bacquacil till I came here) bu8t from what I understand the only ythings you need ius a good test kit (tf-100) or tayloy k-600 and LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of bleach
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

6. Back To Top    #6

I started with a sanitizer level well over 40 when I did the swap last year. It will "gunk" up some...but with HEAVY doses of chlorine the Baqua will break down and turn clear. The less Baqua you have in the pool....the quicker the swap will go....but you don't need to level to be zero by any means. The Pool School article works.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you to all the replies I did purchase a taylor water kid with plenty of reagents.
    Do you know if that gunk will mess up my sand filter or should I just keep adding the chlorine to keep it at 15 parts per 1,000,000
    above ground
    sand filter
    1.5 hp dual speed
    3 years old
    vinyl liner

8. Back To Top    #8

Near the end of the process you will be switching out your sand, so no worries about your sand now.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you to all the replies I did purchase a taylor water kid with plenty of reagents.
    Does your kit have the FAS-DPD test? Which Taylor is it?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Taylor K-2005c
    above ground
    sand filter
    1.5 hp dual speed
    3 years old
    vinyl liner

11. Back To Top    #11

Unfortunately, that kit does not have the FAS-DPD test which is needed, especially for a baqua conversion. Fortunatly, the rest of that kit will work and you can get the FAS-DPD individually at tftestkits.net. Here: http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlori...-test-p47.html

12. Back To Top    #12

I switched at the beginning of a new season which made my conversion go relatively quickly. I had to clean my DE filter a bunch of times before my water was clear. I'd assume you will need to back wash a bunch of times. Lots of bleach and follow the directions. You will not regret it when it's all done. You may be scared of what it looks like half way through. BTW, we love to see pics of the transformation.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

13. Back To Top    #13

That is unfortunate, I thought I read that it did have that test.
    I will order the correct kit, but I can start this process, correct?
    I imagine if I add a good amount of bleach each time, I should be okay.
    Or will too much bleach do damage to pool?
    Calculator says to add 498oz initially.
    thanks
    above ground
    sand filter
    1.5 hp dual speed
    3 years old
    vinyl liner

14. Back To Top    #14

It's confusing...that kit has the DPD test for chlorine which can go up to 5 ppm FC, but not the FAS-DPD test which can go up to 50 ppm FC

15. Back To Top    #15

I myself would wait until you get the correct kit.....HOWEVER at the start almost all of your chlorine will be ate up by the Baquacil in a matter of hours that you won't run much risk of fading your liner or anything. It will go slower, and you will waste some chlorine, but you can start now if you wish.

I'd still wait however.

16. Back To Top    #16

So I add another 4+ gallons last night, had some rain.
    I checked this AM, and FC was at 3-4.
    I did order the above listed kit, awaiting its arrival.
    I will just have to check/add bleach at longer intervals until kit arrives.
    The time in between will lower FC to a readable range for my kit.
    I will go add 370 oz of bleach now, as approximated by calculator.................
    above ground
    sand filter
    1.5 hp dual speed
    3 years old
    vinyl liner

17. Back To Top    #17

fri 7/27/and Sat 7/28...checked fc 3-4 again, both days. Checked in morning before sun hits pool.
    Saturday wife says it looks like the pool is getting better, I dont see it.
    I added two bottles of clorox(192oz each), each night before bedtime on thurs, fri and sat nights.
    I woke up this morning(Sunday) to a much bluer pool, I can see the bottom, but still not even close to crystal clear. Way better than it was three days ago though.

I will try to post pics.
    I am still waiting for my second kit to arrive to so I can maintain the 15ppm shock level.

this is an amazing metamorphosis in three days.
    above ground
    sand filter
    1.5 hp dual speed
    3 years old
    vinyl liner

18. Back To Top    #18

13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)