Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Switched to BBB, pool looking great, but pH goes up now

Switched to BBB, pool looking great, but pH goes up now

I recently made the switch to BBB, and pool has been looking really good, water seems shiny and soft, and the amount of bleach to add has come down. Happy so far. However, I have noticed that the pH goes up to around 7.8 or so. I brought it down to 7.4, and within 4-5 days, it goes up to 7.8. Is it normal?

Test results are:

pH: 7.8
    FC: 2.5
    CC: Absent
    TA: 90
    CH: 200
    CYA: 35

Is everything looking good or I need to so something about pH?
    ----------------
    9,700 gallon, in-ground pool, Cartridge filter, Irregular (kidney) shape, Taylor K-2006 test kit, small rock waterfall.

Pool School + Test Kit + Test Kit Directions +The Pool Calculator = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

Re: Switched to BBB, pool looking great, but pH goes up now

Your waterfall will cause pH to rise. So will splashing, fountains, etc. If you lower your TA just a bit, it may help, but you aren't far off at 90 already.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II T100 Sand Filter, CompuPool CPCS48 SWG, TF-100 test kit

You need to bring your FC up and keep it at or above 3 ppm all the time.

As for your pH problem. I think it'll settle down if you'll let your TA come down to about 70 or 80 ppm. Which will happen over time as you adjust the pH down with acid.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Thanks for the replies. I will raise the FC today.

I have noticed that even without using waterfall, pH goes up, but it is probably due to splashing , so I will add acid to lower the pH and TA. Hopefully, it will get stable soon.

Thanks a bunch everyone
    ----------------
    9,700 gallon, in-ground pool, Cartridge filter, Irregular (kidney) shape, Taylor K-2006 test kit, small rock waterfall.

Pool School + Test Kit + Test Kit Directions +The Pool Calculator = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

Yes, very normal for California. I suspect you've been adding water to replace splashout and evaporation, and it will raise TA, which will drive pH upwards. It may not show on a test, if it only raised the pool 4 or 5 ppm, but it's there nonetheless.

Just for kicks, test your tap water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Thats a good suggestion Richard to test the tap water. I will do that too.

Our pool has that auto-fill up (I am sorry if I am using the wrong term), so I tend to agree with you.
    ----------------

If you had previously been using trichlor pucks, they are acidic and help to lower ph. So, by not using them you will need to manually lower ph with MA or dry acid.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

My pool is still new (4 months) and we have a continuously overflowing spa. Rising ph is my greatest expense at the moment. I was adding about 36oz of MA every other day. It seems to have slowed down a bit lately and now I add about 36oz every three or four days. Recently while on and 8 day vacation I was forced to use pucs and upon returning the the ph was as low as I had ever seen, around 7.2.

So yes, I think it's normal.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip
    My pool is still new (4 months) and we have a continuously overflowing spa. Rising ph is my greatest expense at the moment. I was adding about 36oz of MA every other day. It seems to have slowed down a bit lately and now I add about 36oz every three or four days. Recently while on and 8 day vacation I was forced to use pucs and upon returning the the ph was as low as I had ever seen, around 7.2.

So yes, I think it's normal.

I also have a spa that is continious, I adjusted my valves on my spa so the water just trickles over into the pool, and has reduced my MA use. Also a lower TA will reduce the amount of MA you use.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

After I added borates, my ph is much more stable. Maybe that can work for you if you haven't already added.
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL

10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Pentair Legend Platinum cleaner w/booster pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

I added some borates 10-15 PPM and my pH has not moved since, I was needing to add MA every few days but not since adding the borates via the Borax/MA treatment.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

I have already added borates. I just received my test strips yesterday, so now I will test the borate level.
    ----------------

Hiya neighbor! I just bought a house in Sacramento in March!

Hey neighbor..good to see another Sacramento person here. I have learned a lot from this site, and am already taking care of the pool on my own. Really glad to have found this forum (planning to be a supporter soon).

quote="Christian"]Hiya neighbor! I just bought a house in Sacramento in March![/quote]
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Hiya neighbor! I just bought a house in Sacramento in March!
    Well, there's three of us in this thread. I have not noticed Blake hiding anywhere.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

Sacramento Represent!

Hey roseville neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    Sacramento Represent!
    ----------------