Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie Needs Help: No FC? Just added SWG.

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Needs Help: No FC? Just added SWG.

I am new to TFP and what a great site this is. Thanks in advance for suggestions and help.

I am trying to help my mother n law with her 22K gal IG pool and want to make it easier on her pocketbook, hence the reason why I added the SWG (circupool RJ45).

I am new to the whole pool keep up and getting the water cyrstal clear. When I started approx 3weeks ago it was a mess and green. Today it is clear but not like I want it. I took a water sample to a local pool supply and they talked me into Phosphate remover ($53) because it was around 1000, never again will I do that according to this wonderful site. I am having trouble getting my FC up and thats why I am here..

CC 0.31
    FC 0.31 - added 184 bleach yesterday and still low(lite yellow) this morning with Walmart test strips
    PH 7.9 - added 1 quart acid yesterday
    TA 119
    CH 200
    CYA 45
    Salt - 4200 - a little high would like around 3500ish

I think I have an algae problem eating my chlorine, and need to shock. Pool Calc says to add 670oz of bleach, do I add all at one time? Please help.

With the cost of the SWG and chemicals just seems to be no end.... Also taylor k-2006 test kits order today. Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Needs Help: No FC? Just added SWG.

Welcome to TFP.

It looks like you need to shock. If we can believe the CYA it will take 716 oz (~ 4 large jugs) to get to shock level. And yes, you pour it all in at once. Wait an hour and retest and raise it back to shock level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Too bad the money you wasted on the phosphate remover wasn't spent on a test kit instead. That would have been a good investment. I'm not sure I'd trust the pool store results. You won't have to read here long before you realize they leave a lot to be desired for accuracy. Well, I guess yours is on the way, now....

If you gain nothing else here, it's that shocking the pool is a process that can take days or even weeks. It's not a product that you dump in once. Algae is sorta like yeast. A tiny bit will multiply. So you need to kill it with bleach faster than it can reproduce, and keep killing it until it's all dead, or it will just come back and all the bleach you poured in will have been wasted.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

New Test results taken to Pool supply store ...

FC .18
    TC .95
    CC .77
    pH 7.4
    CH 151
    TA 128
    CYA 70

When shocking with the SWG, do I need to shut it off?

5. Back To Top    #5

No you don't need to shut down the SWG when shocking.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

How did the CYA jump that much? Did you add any(lots of) dichlor or trichlor products? Or should we chalk it up to the pool store results being accurate +/- 100%?

You really need together able to trust your results as the difference in shock levels for the two CYA values is immense. This Is why I got my test kit. I am now in control of my testing and the decisions required to maintain my pool... Not the pool $tore.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    How did the CYA jump that much?
    Pool store tests. That's it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I saw you ordered he k test kit, I would say hold all major actions until you test with your kit. We can help with the actions after you get accurate test results.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by angecarl

When shocking with the SWG, do I need to shut it off?
    During the shock process you can leave it running so it will help bump up the chlorine, but when you go to do the OCLT you will need to make sure its shut off to get accurate results.
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Tested kit is ordered, and they are located just 2hrs west of me so maybe I can get testing on Sat. Thanks for all replies.