Broke the plug used to drain the pump ... ideas?

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
So i have been battling a very minor suction side leak .... and got the bright idea to try and tighten the drain plug for the pump / impeller (not strainer basket) and when i went to tighten the plug it basically tore apart leaving me with a plug with a big hole in it.

Before i try and fight with it i thought i would post here and see if anyone has any suggestions.

At the very least i would like to confirm it is a standard right hand thread??

It's plastic correct. Use an screw extraction tool. Essentially, it's a progressive drill bit with reverse threads, so it's slightly conical. They come in all sizes. I would drill a hole through the center of the plug and get a screw extraction tool that is suited for the drill size. You can also progressively drill bigger holes until the plug can be bent and taken out. Either way it shouldn't be too hard with a plastic plug. It should be a standard right hand thread. You could also drill two holes apart from each other and use a pair of needle-nose pliers to unscrew the plug.

XsAllOverIt said:
It's plastic correct. Use an screw extraction tool. Essentially, it's a progressive drill bit with reverse threads, so it's slightly conical. They come in all sizes. I would drill a hole through the center of the plug and get a screw extraction tool that is suited for the drill size. You can also progressively drill bigger holes until the plug can be bent and taken out. Either way it shouldn't be too hard with a plastic plug. It should be a standard right hand thread.

thanks .... off to lowes!

well i bought an extractor ... guessed on the size and it turns out the one i got was too big

the good news is i realized it before i did any damage so it's back to the hardware store for the right size

i bought the correct plug the first time so i am hoping it is straightforward from here on out

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.