Jul 25, 2012
Hello everyone, I have a leak around my return in my fiberglass steps. I was told the only way to fix this is to remove the concrete around the steps, so I can get to the return. Is there a sealant, caulking or what could I do so I don't have to take out any concrete?

That might depend on how it is leaking. Can you see or reach the leak? If so, you might be able to use pool putty or something similar.

I just went out and put plastic wrap over the return and I couldn't hear the leak. I removed the plastic wrap and I could here the leak again. Where do you buy pool putty? Also thanks for the fast reply.

If you have a big enough leak that you can hear it, I suspect the pipe has come off the fitting or cracked significantly. Maybe more than pool putty can handle.

Pool Putty is a two-part thick epoxy designed for wet use. You can get it at a pool store or Amazon

I'm tagging along as I have a similar leak in a return in a pool seat. Same kind of major leak. I can HEAR the water rushing out. As a temporary fix I taped up a closing plug real good with teflon tape and screwed it into the return. That stopped it. Pool company said same thing - only real fix is to dig concrete to get to return fitting that's underground. My return was cracked on the threads, easy to check with some food coloring, you'll see where it goes = that's your leak.

Today I took a 2" rubber o-ring and stretched it around my return. Pushed it in, between the return and the fiberglass of the steps with a screwdriver. I now can't here the leak anymore. I put the water level up and am now monitoring the level. Also picked up some A+B putty epoxy just in case I need it. THANK YOU for your replies.

upatsix said:
Today I took a 2" rubber o-ring and stretched it around my return. Pushed it in, between the return and the fiberglass of the steps with a screwdriver. I now can't here the leak anymore. I put the water level up and am now monitoring the level. Also picked up some A+B putty epoxy just in case I need it. THANK YOU for your replies.

It's extremely easy to see where the leak is with food coloring. Turn off the pump and squirt the food coloring where you think the leak is. It will QUICKLY go to the leak. So do that and squirt it all around that return, you'll find your leak and also know if you've stopped it.

If it's going to the outer fitting of your return then I agree some epoxy would do the trick. But wait on some experts to chime in before you do this. I don't know the effect of using epoxy and your pool surface (vinyl or plaster, etc).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.