Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dallas TX - Prep Work & Cutting Corners on your bid

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas TX - Prep Work & Cutting Corners on your bid

New pool prospect here - I see in my bid that the PB is proposing $3100 for Pool Prep Work. This includes:

- 3 pallets of Sod
    - Sprinkler system reroute
    - Sprinkler repair - front & sides.

How much would it cost me to do all of this myself? Seems awefully high to me?

Thanks in Advance!
    Pool/Spa = 15800 gallons; Depth = 3 X 5 X 4; Pentair 520 SF Cartridge Filter; Pentair 400K BTU Heater; Pebble Surface

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dallas TX - Prep Work & Cutting Corners on your bid

It wouldn't cost you anywhere near that much to do yourself, but it is likely to be a great deal of work and requires a special tool/machine to bury the new sprinkler lines (unless you want to dig lots of trenches).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You could also get an estimate from a sprinkler company for just that component, they might be cheaper (and probably better) than the pool company.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

I did the sprinkler work myself. It cost a fraction (less than $400 )of what it would have cost with the pool builder. Would I do it myself again? NO WAY! I tend to like doing manual labor but digging an filling in trenches is not fun. I ran in to a few problems that took some time for me to figure out and fix. I still need to redo a few areas to get the coverage that I need. Let someone who knows what they're doing do it and it will be done in one day.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks - I would get someone else to do all the work. Am I correct to assume it would cost me in the ball park of $1000?

$450 for the sod
    $650 for the Sprinkler work

Thanks!
    Pool/Spa = 15800 gallons; Depth = 3 X 5 X 4; Pentair 520 SF Cartridge Filter; Pentair 400K BTU Heater; Pebble Surface