Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What should come first...sand filter? Or SWG for 16x48 agp

1. Back To Top    #1

What should come first...sand filter? Or SWG for 16x48 agp

I can only afford one or the other this summer. And now that they are starting to go on sale i need some advice. Does anyone recommend getting a sand filter first and then next year maybe a SWG (intex Krystal clear)? Or the other way around. I use the BBB method and my pool water is amazing. Should I just continue with the Clorox and get a sand filter?

Thank you
    I love, love, love my Summer Escapes pro series pool!!!!
    Summer Escapes 16x48 Pro series Metal frame AG (6,041 gallon)
    In wall skimmer / filter C cartridge
    BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What should come first...sand filter? Or SWG for 16x48 a

Definitely the sand filter. Those stock cartridges are useless.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I second the choice of sand filter. You won't be disappointed. Switching to SWG hasn't been half as exciting as I expected it to be, but the sand filter I am in love with!
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

4. Back To Top    #4

X3 on the sand filter first!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

X4 sand filter all the way
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

6. Back To Top    #6

x5 sand filter all the way
    13500 gallons
    Intex 2650 Sand filter pump
    AG

7. Back To Top    #7

Definitely the SWG.....Just kidding, sand filter all the way. :P
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Just in case there is any question..sand filter is a NEED for your pool, SWG a want. Needs before wants in my book.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Sand filter. You can use bleach to do the same job as an SWG. But your stock pump and filter cannot do near the quality job as a sand filter. In other words, an SWG cannot do anything that you can't do with bleach. It's not a necessity. To get good filtering, you need to replace the stock pump/filter system.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone...sand filter it is. What size? 1600?

That's what I love about asking questions here....I had a pool store person laugh at me when I answered his question about what kind of chlorine I used. He told me "pool" chlorine was NOT the same as Clorox, and then tried to sell me shock, pucks , clarifier, phoso stuff. UGH!!! I left the store with a .69 cent clearance item, and a vow to never go back.
    Summer Escapes 16x48 Pro series Metal frame AG (6,041 gallon)
    In wall skimmer / filter C cartridge
    BBB method

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Kargar4
    What size? 1600?
    My neighbor has a 1600 with the same size pool as yours and it has worked great for him, including cleaning up two algae outbreaks . With that said, there are reports here on tfp that suggest that intex 2650 sand filter is a good step up in terms of being able to vacuum better, not that the 1600 can't vacuum. Also, one user of the 2650 that plumbed it to their existing return collar fitting had problems with the return adapter "blowing off".
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought the 1600 for my 18' pool and it seems to be doing a great job. Run it about 8 hours a day and it keeps it all pretty clean.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just FYI walmart appears to be having a sale on it right now. I believe I paid like $175. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krys...tlyViewedItems

14. Back To Top    #14

That is a good price...almost as good as last years walmart buy a 1600 and get a free swg ...or something like that.

15. Back To Top    #15

2 friends have the same pool as me (8,000) gallons. I have the 2650 sand filter, they both have the 1600. Their pools are just as clear as mine (fantastic in other words!!), and they are having no problems at all with pool maintenance, circulation, or filtering whatsoever. The only difference is backwashing. They will probably have to backwash a bit more than I do. Not a big deal. That being said, when it comes to filtering, bigger is always better, but better is not always necessary.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Kargar4
    I had a pool store person laugh at me when I answered his question about what kind of chlorine I used. He told me "pool" chlorine was NOT the same as Clorox, and then tried to sell me shock, pucks , clarifier, phoso stuff. UGH!!!
    How could you not have known they were different, the labels aren't even the same!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]