Newby here.

Jul 11, 2012
North Augusta, SC
Hi wonderful people,

We installed a vinyl pool last September and opened it early June. We had it covered for the winter which is mild here. The water looked great had it tested several times in June and got the analysis from the pool people as to what it needed. Never walked out the door less than 150 bucks. We thought we were fine, then this green stuff started showing up. Took more water up there and told then there was green stuff in our pool. Never once did algae come up. We bought the recommened expensive chemicals and still had the green stuff. So off to Google I went. And thanks to a friend of mine that led me to this wonderful site, but my husband is a stuburn man and I had to fight him to listen to me and my friend!

We bought the TF-100 and I am checking the FC CC PH T/A CH and CYA every morning since 7/15. We are using the calculator and plugging in our numbers. My husband is buying the chlorine, the muriatic acid, baking soda, borax

We were running our pump per the pool people 8 hrs in the day. My friend told us to maybe run it at night and incease the hrs. So we did. Now it is running 10 hrs from 5PM to 5 AM.

Here are some #'s and I know yall like #'s
7/15
fc 2.5
cc.5
ph 7.5
TA 90
CH 260
CYA 40
still green stuff so we shocked it! we thought
7/16
fc 10.5
cc 0
ph 7.3
TA 100
Ch 250
cya 90
did the OCLT that day and next day
fc 8.5 PM
cc .5
fc 8
cc 0 AM
still sweeping algae when we brush :(
7/17
fc 8
cc.5
ph 7.5
TA 80
ch 250
cya 70
The numbers are pretty much the same until we until we kept sweeping green algae and shocked the heck out of it on 7/23
fc 20.5
ph 8.2
TA still 110
ch 250
cya 90
today...
fc 16
ph 7.4 we put acid in per the online computerr calculater
TA 110
CH 220
CYA 90
Temp has always been 82-84.
Are we on the right path? Haven't had it one season and we of course never having a pool are so confused :(
I am sure I have left out pert info so please let me know.
Thanks for sharing knowledge we never had before buying a huge investment we never knew how to take care of. :lol:

Welcome to tfp, SunnyinSC :wave:

SunnyinSC said:
We bought the TF-100
SunnyinSC said:
I know yall like #'s
:goodjob:

You mention sweeping green algae...is the water clear or cloudy and is the stuff just on the floor?

Most of your test numbers look good, though your cya values are high and your earlier tests seem somewhat erratic (went up from 40 to 90 in one day between the 15th and 16th?). [s:2kqi5zo2]The first thing I would do is a partial drain and refill to get your cya down at 50 ppm. Then deal with the rest.[/s:2kqi5zo2] The range for the saltwater chlorine generator (swg) is 70-80, so you are a little high, draining just a bit might be worth it now.

CYA numbers are questionable to me.
If you're running the pump at night, what percentage on your SWG? Your pool is in full sun-perhaps someone here will advise if its better to run the pump during the day or night? I recall your PB (since he's mine too) saying that the hottest part of the summer could require the pump to be run for up to 12 hours. So that's something that can get tweaked (along with the % on the SWG)

Yippee :)

YippeeSkippy said:
CYA numbers are questionable to me.
If you're running the pump at night, what percentage on your SWG? Your pool is in full sun-perhaps someone here will advise if its better to run the pump during the day or night? I recall your PB (since he's mine too) saying that the hottest part of the summer could require the pump to be run for up to 12 hours. So that's something that can get tweaked (along with the % on the SWG)

Yippee :)

Yes, FC and TC please, and thank you.

If it's under 10ppm, run pH as well. I'm afraid when you added acid to adjust pH earlier that the result was skewed due to the FC being over 10ppm. (for future reference, don't check pH when FC is over 10ppm, the results aren't valid).

Can you tell us what the water looks like? Do you still see green stuff on the floor?

I just checked the calculator, and for your CYA level of 90, shock level is actually 23ppm. I'm afraid you're not actually at shock level. There's little explanation otherwise why the green is remaining.

Bump the FC up to at least 23ppm, and for overnnight I'd say run it all the way up to 30ppm actually. Your pool is safe up to 49ppm (MA shock level).

Tomorrow, make sure it is above 23ppm all day. Are you able to test and dose throughout the day or will you be away for a number of hours? If you've got to be gone, do the same as tonight so that the water won't drop below 23ppm. After you see how much is lost overnight you'll have a better idea how much you will lose to algae tomorrow. Add 4-5ppm to that to allow for sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you'll see some improvement if you can keep it at or above 23ppm full time. It'll be a little ordeal for a while, but the results will be worth it and in the end you'll feel quite empowered :~}

It seriously is time to fire the pool guy though. You can do this, you're doing the hard work already anyway. In the end, you won't have to work half as hard as he does either.

By following the shocking process you can expect to have and enjoy a nice clean algae free pool, yes. Of course!

It's worth it. After you're done you'll maintain appropriate FC levels and should not see algae again :~}

30ppm should allow you to not fall below shock level overnight. If you can test and re-dose hourly tomorrow I'd say just dose enough extra over 23ppm to get you through to the next test. You don't need to hold it at 30 tomorrow if you can be there to maintain at least 23ppm all day.

Hi SunnyinSC and welcome to TFP! :)
I would for sure keep that chlorine level up close to 30ppm, no your not going to hurt anything but the algae. :hammer:
With CYA levels high up in the range for a SWG pool, your cya is binding a large percent of your chlorine. This is the reason you need to be so high on your chlorine ppm.
Stay the course and the pool will behave and do as it's told.
Read, read and read here and it will all make sense very soon.
If you find a mod you like here, go and read their postings as they are very smart! :idea:

Chuck

With a OCLT of 0 ppm, CC of 0, and clear water (other than the "dust") it seems that you do not have algae.

Is any of the "dust" up on the vertical walls?
Could the "dust" be pollen?
Any chance you could post pics?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.