SWG Acid Washing

Florida Penguin said:
2) It sounds like JasonLion was responding to both my issue and dschlic1's issues. From my perspective, I feel pretty confident I got all the areas that could have alge during my 3 days of supershock (FC>=30). There was a small area (< 3 sq inches) on the pool cover that had some alge on it, but that is a non-isssue at this time since I put the cover away for the summer.

I think what JasonLion was referring to are areas with low circulation of water, like corners, pool steps etc. If there is an area with low circulation of water you will not get 30ppm in that particular area as the chlorine simply won't get there, hence the algae will be still growing in those hiding spots.

:whip: How does one convert the SWG output (mine is 1.25 lbs of chlorine/24 hrs .....or 567 gm/24 hrs) into useful info...ie...how may ppm of FC per hour at 100% per 1000 gallons (or something like this)?

Thanks!

You should adjust the SWG percentage experimentally. Try it at 50% to start and see what the FC level is after two or three days and then adjust from there. The best time to test the water is in the early evening of a reasonably sunny day. If the FC level is above your goal lower the percentage. If the FC level is below your goal raise the percentage. The percentage will need to be adjusted every other day at first, and then less often after that. Chlorine demand will vary seasonally, so check it every two to four weeks once you are past the initial adjustments and things are stable and working correctly.

Just a follow up incase any are still waiting for the results of my Super Shock...

I think it worked!....Since I did my 3 days of FC >30, my SWG has been keeping the FC constant and there is NO overnight drop in FC levels.

It took about 2 week for the the FC levels to drop to the < 8 range. Since then, I have been keeping my SWG at 20% (for 12 hrs of run time) and the FC level is solid around 5-6 for the past 2 weeks without any adjustment.

I think I will keep it at this level, just to give me a little buffer should the FC drop some.

Thanks for all your help...

Also....not that it is needed, but I need to put a plug in for ChemGeeks' "Pool Calculator" comprehensive spreadsheet. That spreadsheet pretty much hits the target for calculating whatever you need to add to get your chemistry back in line!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.