Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 Purchase Options

1. Back To Top    #1
    Palm Coast, FL

TF-100 Purchase Options

I'm new to pool maintenance and am considering what options I should get in addition to the TF-100 Test Kit.

*A SpeedStir seems handy. How many extra stirrers should I get?

*Is the sample sizer worthwhile? I need only to add the magnetic stirrer after measuring the correct level in the vial, right?

*I have an SWG and can read the concentration off of the Aqua-Logic control. Do I still need test strips?

*I don't think i need XL since my pool water is ok now and being managed by the pool service.

Any other considerations?

30' x 15' ~ 15,000 gallon pool & spa, Diamond Brite, Hayward Aqua Logic PS-4, Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 SWG, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump , Star Clear Plus C17502 filter, Rheem P-M206A-EP-C heater, Caretaker 99 5-port 1.5 inch valve

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: TF-100 Purchase Options

The speedstir is awesome and well worth the money. I wouldn't worry about getting extra bars right now. I've always wanted the sample sizer but have never bought one. I use a 10 ml graduated syringe to fill the vial.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

A number here like enough stir bars to not have to wash between tests, so 2-3.

No need for XL if you will not be doing a lot of testing

Salt Strips are nice for those times when you get a low or high salt reading from the SWG, and are not sure that it is correct. I have an electronic salt tester, so did not buy strips.

For sample sizing, I use pipettes that I bought off Amazon: ... 00_s00_i03

14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

The speedstir is amazingly convenient. I like it a lot.

Don't buy the extra magnetic stir bars from me for now (although the freight would be free) can get them cheaper. We are hoping to find a good source soon. Most folks don't lose them so one extra would be plenty.

The sample sizer seems optional to me. I have tried mine a time or two but haven't really used it much yet. It will not be completely accurate with the cylinders in the TF-100.

If your SWG is happy and producing chlorine, you don't really care what your salt level is. That said, many folks want to confirm their additions so they buy the strips. It is good back up but it is not completely necessary.

No, you do not need the XL.....that option is intended for people who's water needs a lot of work....yours sounds good.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School