Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Batteries for Speedstir

1. Back To Top    #1

Batteries for Speedstir

Ok, this is really embarrassing to ask but... how the heck do I put batteries into my new speedstir device? I can only imagine I need to find a really small screwdriver and remove the one screw. Right?

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Batteries for Speedstir

Yep.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

JohnT beat me but...Yep...and AAs IIRC
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

A #00 Phillips. Don't try the end of one of your wife's good kitchen knifes, either. You'll snap it off. Oops, I'm probably too late with this. If there's any rust showing, give up.

A drill with a 1/8 bit will open it, too. Takes the head right off. Friction fit seems to keep the lid on just fine, mine's been holding for about a year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Also replace with lithium battery's..They will last longer&it really give the magnet a real work-out.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    A #00 Phillips. Don't try the end of one of your wife's good kitchen knifes, either. You'll snap it off. Oops, I'm probably too late with this. If there's any rust showing, give up.

A drill with a 1/8 bit will open it, too. Takes the head right off. Friction fit seems to keep the lid on just fine, mine's been holding for about a year.
    LOL, I *am* the wife. Skippy is my husband. Thanks for the heads up on the size of Phillips. I think Skippy has eye glass screwdrivers that might work.
    Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Just got my TF-100 and opened the SpeedStir purchased previously. Sure glad I found this old thread Skippy.
    I kinda thought it would be that one screw. After all these years they haven't changed it.
    No mention in the instructions either.
    I can't find my small eyeglass screwdriver so will have to wait to Speed Stir.
    All I can test now anyway is tap water until my pool is plastered and filled.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Me, too! Found this old thread. Batteries died this morning. Can't get the screw out. Was going to hardware store to buy a special screw driver, but this thread indicates that if its rusted, don't bother. Of course, mine's rusted.

Hmmm..... It test swimming pool water. Water, chemicals, metal.... Probability of rust is pretty high. Could they use a stainless Steel regular screw?

I'll try to drill out the screw or Another $30 ..... I can't live without it!

Lucy
    40K gal, painted plaster, Pentair FNS Plus 48, Hayward Super Pump 2 HP, Hayward H-Series-250, 50 years old, 3-month swimming season

9. Back To Top    #9

I was able to get the screw out using my smallest philips screwdriver. Did not need the eyeglass screwdriver. Screw appears to be chrome or stainless steel now. We'll see how it holds up.

The cover won't stay on without the screw so I put it back but didn't tighten it very much just in case.
    My 2016 Build 14'x19'x35' IG Gunite 15K Gal. Roman, 4'-5' deep, 6 returns, 3 sheers
    4 deck jets, 2 Pentair XF22005 Pumps, Clean&Clear 200 Cartridge Filter, Brick Coping
    2 Pentair 5g 12v LED Pool Lights, 1 Pentair 12v Globrite LED in step area, 2 Bubblers
    Inline Chlorinator - SWG later, WetEdge Mediterranean Pebble, Intermatic MultiWave
    43'x33' Screened Paver Deck&15'x30' Lanai, Doheny Discovery (S200) Robot, TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

I can not remember, but I thought the screw was just into the plastic ... if so, not sure why rust would prevent you being to remove it. Maybe I do not remember correctly
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!