Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lightening Strike on pool

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Lightening Strike on pool

Customer has a 16x32, 6'deep, salt pool - steel walls, fiberglass steps. Hayward Super Pump and SD40 Sand filter.

On Saturday, customer checked pool, everything fine. Saturday night, strong thunder/lightening storms in area. Sunday morning, customer went out to clean pool and found black "stains" on light, returns, skimmer, main drain and step jets. Appearance resembles smoke/charred marks from fire (like when a plug sparks in an electrical outlet).

Has anyone experienced this kind of reaction after a storm? Is it possible that lightening struck the pool and caused "fire" to come through pipes? Breaker not tripped. Pump and salt system working. GFCI was replaced since today, but not sure if it worked properly before storm.

[attachment=1:d4dzmlqv]burn fitting 3b.jpg[/attachment:d4dzmlqv]

[attachment=0:d4dzmlqv]burn return 2b.jpg[/attachment:d4dzmlqv]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Lightening Strike on pool

Wow! Wish I had some advice, but I've never seen anything like it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

While it's not very likely, lightning can do some strange things. It's more likely that some type of smoke or dust got deposited in it by the wind and adhered to the returns where it exited.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Arizona & California

I don't know if this has anything to do with the staining, but Electrolysis can cause copper staining. Electrical currents can cause copper to jump off of copper piping and into the water. Fittings around the pool can have an opposite electrical charge which can the attrack the dissolved copper which attaches to the fittings. Just a thought. But those pictures are fascinating.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Sault Ontario

I dunno, seems like a direct lighting hit would be unmistakable with quite noticeable damage. Also seems like if it was a close hit that the pool would have enough attraction to pull it in and be a direct hit.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6
    Antelope, CA

Is that step jet burnt and misshapen? Is to the comment about the copper, it made me wonder is the metal in the screws are what off gassed metal and made the burn marks? I assume the steel wall of the pool would have distributed the charge around the entire pool to all of the screws via the threads. Now that type that? Is the black burn plastic from the backside of those fittings or the liner around the screw threads??
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Most likely not a direct strike but a very near one. IMO that is the only thing that is going to cause the discolorations that you have found.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

8. Back To Top    #8
    Mint Hill, NC

Can you pull a fitting and see what the back of it looks like?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump