Help with a new salt water pool

Jul 25, 2012
Our pool has been up and running for a couple weeks now. I know NOTHING about maintaining it. I noticed the green light blinking on my salt generator thingy, and that says it means too much salt. The only salt that has been added is what the pool company added when the water went in my pool.

So-I grabbed my test sticks, and it was showing no chlorine. Off to the pool store I went. They tested again, and it still said that. So she told me to add stablizer, and something else-it is escaping me, but it was something I added into the skimmer. She said to hit the super-chlorinate button after I did all that. So-that's what I did.

That was hours ago-3, almost 4 hours ago. So I went out and tested the water again, and it's still showing 0 chlorine.

Any ideas? Like I said-I have NO experience here. The pool store is closed, so I can't call them. I can go out there again tomorrow.

I'm pretty new here too, so I can't help you fix your chlorine, but I would strongly suggest getting a really good test kit so these folks can help you by looking at your readings.. good luck!

Can you add all your pool info including SWG brand? Sounds like you have a very basic test kit. It's in your best interest to get a real kit like the TF-100: http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html . Please also read through the pool school link at the top right of this page. A complete set of test numbers is really helpful for the folks here to help you. Sounds like your SWG is not working, best bet would be to start adding liquid chlorine until you get some real test numbers posted. If you wait too long you will have a swamp soon. Also good to buy some salt test strips so you can tell us what the salt level is at.

By the way, welcome to TFP. This is the place you want to be at for pool info. :wave:

Welcome to tfp, Beckiet :wave:

What did the pool store say your salt level was?

How does your water look?

For now you can add bleach or liquid chlorine to get some chlorine into your pool. If you post your pool volume and whatever test numbers you have, we can help!

Here are my test numbers from this morning.

Free Chlorine- 0.0
Total Chlorine-0.3
pH 7.2
Alklinity 3 ppm
Cyanuric Acid 7ppm
Salt 3500 ppm

I added something for alklinity, and a stabalizer. I do have the most basic test kit-this is literally the first week we are able to use our pool....they finished it, and we left for vacation!
It's an inground rectangle pool-30,000 gallons. I have an autocover, that is generally closed, too. It has been open all day today though-b/c I've been tinkering with it.

I'm wondering about the SWG as well. But it's brand new?? Could it be something with that? I'm scared to add stuff!!

Well until you get the swg figured out (and fixed if necessary), you will need to add chlorine to keep organics (algae) from taking over. For your cya level of 7 ppm (effectively 0), your FC range should be 1-3 ppm. For your 30000 gallon pool, to raise your FC level from 0 ppm (where you are at now) to 3 ppm, you should add 1.5 gallons of 6% bleach. Make sure it is plain old unscented bleach. Since your cya level is low, keep the cover on the pool when you are not using it. This will help protect your FC from being used up by the sun.

See this pool school article on chlorine and how to chlorinate: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

Oh-that's not that much bleach...that sounds okay. Do you pour it right into the pool? The skimmer?

Also-how do you think I can tell if it's the SWG? Is there a way to test it?

The lady at the pool store said my pool wasn't holding onto chlorine, and that is why she told me to add the stabalizer. How long would it take for that to help with the chlorine?

I did just cover it-thanks for that suggestion.

Beckiet said:
Oh-that's not that much bleach...that sounds okay. Do you pour it right into the pool? The skimmer?
Almost all chemical additions, including chlorine, should be put in front of the water return to the pool (with the pump running) so that the water flow disperses it into the bulk of the pool water quickly.

Beckiet said:
The lady at the pool store said my pool wasn't holding onto chlorine, and that is why she told me to add the stabilizer.
Stabilizer (cya) acts like sunscreen for chlorine, so yes, up to a point it is a good thing. TFP recommended levels for a swg is 70-80 ppm cya, see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator. However, until you get the swg running, I would not go any higher than 50 ppm cya.

All of these amounts can be figured out using the poolcalculator.com

Beckiet said:
How long would it take for that to help with the chlorine?
Once the cya is in the pool, it starts helping quickly. Is the stabilizer (i.e. cya) you have granular or liquid?

Beckiet said:
Also-how do you think I can tell if it's the SWG? Is there a way to test it?
Which swg do you have? I would doubt 3500 ppm salt would be too high, but the pool store test might be off. Did you see how they tested it?

The stabalizer was granular-and she told me to sprinkle it all around, directly into the pool. The stuff for the alkaline she said to put in the skimmer.

I will go out and see what kind of SWG I have-I'm not sure. Will be a bit, b/c I need to go pick my daughter up! I did notice, though, the last time I went outside, that the SWG is no longer blinking green (which says it has too much salt)...it's a steady green now. I did hit the chlorine boost-I wonder how long that takes to work?

The pool store used a computer to check my levels-is that what you mean?

I SOOOO appreciate all your help!!! I've been surfing around this sight, but it is all gibberish to me! I was just joking with my husband-I should've paid more attention in chemistry class!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beckiet said:
The stabalizer was granular-and she told me to sprinkle it all around, directly into the pool. The stuff for the alkaline she said to put in the skimmer.

I will go out and see what kind of SWG I have-I'm not sure. Will be a bit, b/c I need to go pick my daughter up! I did notice, though, the last time I went outside, that the SWG is no longer blinking green (which says it has too much salt)...it's a steady green now. I did hit the chlorine boost-I wonder how long that takes to work?

The pool store used a computer to check my levels-is that what you mean?

I SOOOO appreciate all your help!!! I've been surfing around this sight, but it is all gibberish to me! I was just joking with my husband-I should've paid more attention in chemistry class!!!
If the high salt level light was flashing then it may not be making chlorine, I think they stop if they do not measure the correct salt parameters. You could check the SWG cell to make sure it's clean. You'd probably need to check the manual to see how to do this. As for the surfing around the gibberish, pool school is the best bet until you understand things more. If you just look around here without some background knowledge then you may get overwhelmed. The basics will eventually make sense.

The salt light is no longer blinking!
So I dipped a test strip in-and there is a hint of color for the chlorine now. Maybe something is working. I know this isn't the best way to test-but it's all I have tonight.

My filter is set in a timer to run for 12 hours. It was off-so I just turned it back on. That's right, right?

It is 87 degrees in the pool. Did I read that the higher water temp doesn't help? I have had the heat off for days-but I think the auto-cover is not only holding the heat in-it is acting like a solar cover!

Thanks again for all your help.

The filter needs to be on for the SWG to do it's thing. Water temp doesn't matter much especially seeing you cover your pool. I find that my SWG does a good job to maintain the levels, not too great at getting them up to where I want them from zero. I'd still add bleach to get up to a good level until you have this sorted out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.