Pull or not to pull wedding cake steps in the winter

Re: Pull or not t pull wedding cake steps in the winter

Didn't pull ours out last winter. Probably should have though as I just recently found that the hand rail had green algae growing inside of it which I wasn't aware of until I was vacuuming with a mask on and saw a green gunk puff out of a hole when I moved to vacuum underneath. It'd be best to remove the hand rail of course it would have to be removed to put a cover over the pool, didn't cover last winter so the steps, rail and all stayed in.

MikeInNH said:
Our pool freezes pretty solid so always pull the steps. I think ice would make a mess of the plastic steps. It's a pain but better than buying new ones.

thats what I was afraid of

Well i didnt put sand in the steps yet I think i will rig some gallon jugs with sand that I can remove so that pulling it out may be easier

I zip tied a plastic Rubbermaid type bucket to the bottom horizontal piece on mine. I then put a few decent size rocks (nerf football size) in another bucket that drops in the first one. I drilled holes in both so I can remove the bucket with the rocks in it relatively easily when it's time to take the steps out. Putting the steps in is easy, lean it over the pool a bit then slide the bucket of rocks in and slide it over the side. I need a helper to hold it but no biggie and no issues with bags of sand ripping open.

MikeInNH said:
I zip tied a plastic Rubbermaid type bucket to the bottom horizontal piece on mine. I then put a few decent size rocks (nerf football size) in another bucket that drops in the first one. I drilled holes in both so I can remove the bucket with the rocks in it relatively easily when it's time to take the steps out. Putting the steps in is easy, lean it over the pool a bit then slide the bucket of rocks in and slide it over the side. I need a helper to hold it but no biggie and no issues with bags of sand ripping open.

I Like that Bucket idea more then the sand jugs
you wouldn't have any pics would ya?
are the Buckets the round type?
And both pails are plastic I assume
Thanks
Greg

I don't have any actual pictures but I doctored a screen shot for you, pretty sure the screen shot shows the size I have. The buckets are actually Sterilite I think and are clear, it's good to be able to see in them. They stack really well and drilling holes makes the water flow in and out of them easily. I do not use the covers. In the picture the black lines would be the steps and horizontal brace at the bottom. The red circles are zip ties attaching the lower bucket to the brace. The bucket with the rocks just drops into the other one.

Attachments

• bucket.JPG
    bucket.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 237

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No clue what brand mine are but the back is open on mine. Looking at some pictures of what you mention it looks like that's gonna be tougher. Is it the one in the link below? I wonder if you could fill some PVC pipes with sand and cap the ends. Drill a hole in one of the ends to feed rope through before the cap is glued. Then if the top step comes off easy like the PDF appears to show you could just hang it from the sides under the step. Or you could zip tie larger PVC that the weighted PVC fits into under that same step or on the outer sides. PVC wouldn't be too intrusive or ugly on the external sides.
http://www.aqua-pool-warehouse.com/IG/O ... uction.pdf

I used 2 cinder blocks inside mine and they did a pretty good job. I think a third one would do the trick better. :goodjob:

We recently had our liner replaced and were able to get some installed under the liner, much cleaner install than those honkers!

Dawg

Another great idea I saw here was to get some PVC tube (2 - 3 inches or so) and 2 end caps for each pipe. Glue one end cap and then fill with rocks or sand and then glue the other cap, do several of these.

cramar said:
Another great idea I saw here was to get some PVC tube (2 - 3 inches or so) and 2 end caps for each pipe. Glue one end cap and then fill with rocks or sand and then glue the other cap, do several of these.
I saw that post too but I believe they are more expensive than the cinder block option... :rant:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.