New Sand Filter!

JulieS

Jun 17, 2012
Michigan
I just received a new Intex Krystal Clear 2650 Gallon Sand Filter Pump with GFCI. I have been reading the directions to install this pump, and what I need to know, is it possible to assemble and attach this pump with the pool full, or do I HAVE do drain the pool? I am praying that I don't have to drain, I just went through a week long shock process and have absolutely crystal clear sparkly warm water!

In reading the directions, I think that I can assemble the pump, then do the inlet/outlets last and put the pump on closed so it doesn't try to filter the pool. But really, I have no idea what I'm doing as this is my first pool, and the first time I have ever seen a sand pump!

I would appreciate any ideas, experiences and HELP!!!

Thanks in advance
~Julie

Hi Julie,
I did exactly what you are trying to do last year when I purchased the Intex sand filter. I hooked it up without draining the pool. There are a couple of ways to do this. First of all, does your Intex pool currently have the plunger valves? If so, it's an easy setup. The plunger valves have like a T-handle on top (where the hoses go in and out of the pool).

The plunger valves should be in your sand filter box. They have handles.

Your flow will be increased greatly if you adapt the pool itself to the 1.5" lines. This involves cutting out the rubber dohickies and using the larger fittings that came with the filter instead of using the adapters.

We hooked the sand filter up with the adapters at first, ran for about a week. It worked, but once the holes were cut and the larger fittings on boy did the water move. There was a significant difference in flow.

To do this, you'll need a person inside the pool with a small bowl (large bowl doesn't work, the pool is too round) to cover the opening and hold it tightly while you work (i.e. not a young kid). Some water will escape regardless of how hard the bowl is pressed against the pool wall. Outside, using a very sharp exacto knife you'll cut the hole just slightly larger than the threads of the outer fitting. It has to be just a tad larger than the fitting, or it won't go through the wall. Insert the closed plunger valve and outer fitting through the hole and screw the inside fitting on from inside the pool. Again, water will escape as you do this, be quick, but once you get the outside fitting through, the plunger valve will hold the water back.

I would also suggest using a silicone o-ring lubricant on the rubber parts. It will help seal the through wall fittings.

GreatCanadian, yes I do have those!

Frogabog, That sounds like a great and incredibly scary idea! The thought of cutting my pool scares me, but I understand the idea of giving the pump the max amount of water to work properly!

Thankfully, I have a few days to obtain all of the idea's and do all of the research before the pump gets installed! I just had back surgery, and need a few more days to get ready for this project! I appreciate all of the input, and hope more keeps coming so I am EXTRA informed when I get started!!

Ok. As of right now, if I were you, I would put in those top hat thingies that you describe :)
Then I would use the adapters to connect your sand filter to your current intake and return. Can't remember which adapter to use, but you should figure that out when you go at it. That way you quickly get your sand filter up and running. Then, over the next few days, build up the courage to cut your liner. It will work fine, and as frogabog mentions above, makes for better flow. When you're ready, let us know, and we'll guide you through cutting your liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree. It isn't terribly difficult to hook up the sand filter to the existing ports, and if someone is available to lift the sand for you, you could have it running in a matter of less than an hour. I actually transferred the sand to a large pitcher and poured it in slowly. That was considerably lighter than lifting the whole bag (and a lot more precise I'm sure, I lost no sand over the side).

Whatever you do, do not lift that sand bag yourself! Healing is your first priority :~}

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.