Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Sand Filter!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Sand Filter!

I just received a new Intex Krystal Clear 2650 Gallon Sand Filter Pump with GFCI. I have been reading the directions to install this pump, and what I need to know, is it possible to assemble and attach this pump with the pool full, or do I HAVE do drain the pool? I am praying that I don't have to drain, I just went through a week long shock process and have absolutely crystal clear sparkly warm water!

In reading the directions, I think that I can assemble the pump, then do the inlet/outlets last and put the pump on closed so it doesn't try to filter the pool. But really, I have no idea what I'm doing as this is my first pool, and the first time I have ever seen a sand pump!

I would appreciate any ideas, experiences and HELP!!!

Thanks in advance
    ~Julie
    Intex AG Round 15'x42" About 4600 Gallons.
    2650 Gallon Sand Filter Pump W/GFCI .
    K-2006 test kit.
    Here in the beautiful Southwest Michigan!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Sand Filter!

You can do it with the pool full. You may have to have someone hold a bowl over the inlet and outlet inside the pool while you change the hoses but you won't lose much water that way.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Julie,
    I did exactly what you are trying to do last year when I purchased the Intex sand filter. I hooked it up without draining the pool. There are a couple of ways to do this. First of all, does your Intex pool currently have the plunger valves? If so, it's an easy setup. The plunger valves have like a T-handle on top (where the hoses go in and out of the pool).
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both! I don't think I have a plunger valve, I have rubber covers that look like top hats that I put in EVERYDAY when I clean my filter! I doubt they will help any...
    K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep. They can!! You should have gotten some adapters with your filter. They will allow you to connect your intex filter directly to your current intake and outlet nozzles. Do you have those?
    Bestway SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

The plunger valves should be in your sand filter box. They have handles.

Your flow will be increased greatly if you adapt the pool itself to the 1.5" lines. This involves cutting out the rubber dohickies and using the larger fittings that came with the filter instead of using the adapters.

We hooked the sand filter up with the adapters at first, ran for about a week. It worked, but once the holes were cut and the larger fittings on boy did the water move. There was a significant difference in flow.

To do this, you'll need a person inside the pool with a small bowl (large bowl doesn't work, the pool is too round) to cover the opening and hold it tightly while you work (i.e. not a young kid). Some water will escape regardless of how hard the bowl is pressed against the pool wall. Outside, using a very sharp exacto knife you'll cut the hole just slightly larger than the threads of the outer fitting. It has to be just a tad larger than the fitting, or it won't go through the wall. Insert the closed plunger valve and outer fitting through the hole and screw the inside fitting on from inside the pool. Again, water will escape as you do this, be quick, but once you get the outside fitting through, the plunger valve will hold the water back.

I would also suggest using a silicone o-ring lubricant on the rubber parts. It will help seal the through wall fittings.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

GreatCanadian, yes I do have those!

Frogabog, That sounds like a great and incredibly scary idea! The thought of cutting my pool scares me, but I understand the idea of giving the pump the max amount of water to work properly!

Thankfully, I have a few days to obtain all of the idea's and do all of the research before the pump gets installed! I just had back surgery, and need a few more days to get ready for this project! I appreciate all of the input, and hope more keeps coming so I am EXTRA informed when I get started!!
    K-2006 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. As of right now, if I were you, I would put in those top hat thingies that you describe
    Then I would use the adapters to connect your sand filter to your current intake and return. Can't remember which adapter to use, but you should figure that out when you go at it. That way you quickly get your sand filter up and running. Then, over the next few days, build up the courage to cut your liner. It will work fine, and as frogabog mentions above, makes for better flow. When you're ready, let us know, and we'll guide you through cutting your liner.
    Bestway SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you all SO MUCH!!
    K-2006 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

No problem. NOW GET AT IT!! And please post back and let me know how it goes.
    Bestway SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree. It isn't terribly difficult to hook up the sand filter to the existing ports, and if someone is available to lift the sand for you, you could have it running in a matter of less than an hour. I actually transferred the sand to a large pitcher and poured it in slowly. That was considerably lighter than lifting the whole bag (and a lot more precise I'm sure, I lost no sand over the side).

Whatever you do, do not lift that sand bag yourself! Healing is your first priority :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

12. Back To Top    #12

And one more thing. Make sure to cover the center pipe when you are adding sand to the filter. You don't want to get sand in that pipe. If you do, it will end up in the pool. And backwash lots before turning your valve to filter for the first time. Twice as long as recommended.
    Bestway SWG