Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I dial back heat pump for a few days?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I dial back heat pump for a few days?

Hi all,
    It looks like the weather for the next 3 or 4 days will not be conducive to an after-work dip. Just wondering should I dial back the heat pump for the next few days, or leave it as is to maintain heat. Would it be cheaper to turn it back, then heat up again when the weather clears? Or would it cost just as much to reheat the pool after the 3 or 4 days have passed. Air temperatures for the next few days are forecast to run between about 60 and 70 degrees, with fairly strong winds. Thanks all.

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I dial back heat pump for a few days?

I never know what to do in this situation either. Looking for some good answers to your question.

At this point I have it set on 87 and when it is going to be cold for a few days with no one wanting to go in the pool I dial it down to about 83 and leave it there. I don't know if that is right or not.
    Built in October 2011, 16 x 26 x 20 L shaped vinyl IG steel wall pool, Hayward DE pro grid verticle filter 4800 pool, Hayward two speed superpump, 120,000 BTU Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump, Aqua Rite Salt system, 8' wide walk out steps, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains, 500 watt underwater light, intermatic mechanical timer

3. Back To Top    #3

It will take a lot more energy to bring it back up after several cool days than it will to keep it at a more reasonable set point. I would dial it down 2-4 degrees and cover. The wind will do more cooling than the outside temperature.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, wind has been constant here this summer so far. I notice a big difference in heat loss on calm vs. windy days.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit