Ok, so I have had a problem with the dreaded green water and algae showing up on the bottom of the pool (17,500 gallon AGP). My first mistake was I went to the local pool store and they told me to use "clean shock" - dichlor - due to the very hot weather we are having here this summer and to hit it hard with this stuff, which I did. Problem is (and I found out from reading this forum) dichlor drives up the stabilizer levels, which it did, and makes the shock basically useless against the algae - which would explain why I still have a green pool!
My question is where do I go from here? I tripled the shock dose so now I have a green pool with a very high chlorine reading. I ordered one of the Taylor test kits but it won't be here for about three days. Based on the test strip, stabilizer appears to be around 90+ (which according the the test strip compare is high but still ok). PH is about 7.4
I have read stuff on here about using Chlorox to help with a green pool. I would like to do this but not sure how to proceed since I dumped a bunch of this useless shock in the pool already which has apparently made things worse. Can you have too much shock/bleach in the pool? Also if someone could tell me how much I need to use (or how to calculate how much to use) I would appreciate it.
This has really been frustrating. Needless to day the local pool store just lost a customer!