Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just my luck

1. Back To Top    #1

Just my luck

I performed a OCLT last night and what do you know? When I woke up this morning there was a dead bird in the pool. Would this screw up the OCLT test? Here are the numbers from the test.

Before
    FC 12
    CC 1

After
    FC 7
    CC 0.5

Also, I am having guests over tonight for a cookout...so I don't want to "shock" the pool and cause everyone's eyes to burn. With a dead bird do I have to shock? or is my FC acceptable to take care of any bacteria?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Tommy
    12,000 gal Octagon vinyl in-ground pool. Hayward S220 sand filter 3/4 hp pump, heat pump heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just my luck

First question is why you were performing an OCLT in the first place. Also, please post a full set of test number: FC, CC, pH, TA, CYA, CH. What is the clarity of the water? What kind of test kit do you have?

Whether due to the dead bird or not, you lost way too much FC for an OCLT. I would add bleach to shock levels asap. It's still safe to swim at shock levels. Test several times throughout the day following the instructions in pool school for shocking here: pool-school/shocking_your_pool.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

My cya has been well over 100. I did a 1/2 drain, then 1/3 drain then ran out of cya reagent to test. So while I am waiting for that to come in the mail TFP suggested to do a OCLT test to make sure I don't have an algae problem while trying to figure out the cya. I tested yesterday with these results then added bleach to bring up to 12 to perform the test:

Chlorine 2
    pH 7.5
    TA hovers around 110
    CH 130

I am using the taylor-2005 and I have the FAS/DPD kit.
    12,000 gal Octagon vinyl in-ground pool. Hayward S220 sand filter 3/4 hp pump, heat pump heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by phipsi1237
    Whether due to the dead bird or not, you lost way too much FC for an OCLT. I would add bleach to shock levels asap.
    Ditto.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Keep at shock level, 12ppm chlorine wont cause a problem for bathers in an outdoor pool, the bird is not really a concern, scoop it out and move on with your regime

Stuart
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

6. Back To Top    #6

how do I know what shock levels are with no cya reagent

7. Back To Top    #7

if we presume you have replaced around 65% of your water (50% then 1/2 of 33%) and your CYA level was above 100 its best guess untill you can re-test CYA. factor that your CC level has came down to 0.5 suggests that you have it under control, so its just the OCL that needs to drop to below 1 now, you can do this with superchlorination as per the instructions on pool school, but you won't know exactly how much chlorine you really need, if 12 worked last night, You should be ok at that untill you know true CYA levels.

Stuart
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC