Install Rant

msumoose

In The Industry
Apr 19, 2012
I have a question for all you DIYers and pros out there....

Why would you not install a $7 union after you see that the pipe has been cut numerous times?

I mean...I spend lots of time installing these on pools I service to make it super easy to remove a pump/multiport/SWCG. I have really made a business out of it this summer.

Its just one of those things that makes me shake my head when I go to a new client's pool. I have never had one balk at me spending the little extra money to install one yet.

Use this next time
4-25-0141_big2255.jpg

Not this...
pvc_slip_coupling.jpg

I wish I had seen this post BEFORE my pool was done!

I got to looking at my pump and was trying to figure out what I was going to do if/when I needed to work on my pump/filter!

NOW I know what my installer should have used! I think a call back is in my today to make him come back and put some of these in.

THANKS!

Kim

I get them from my distributors, because I like to use the Hayward brand unions. I know the part numbers for the oring that they use, so I can easily replace those too!

In a pinch, I will go to Lowe's. Their brand is pretty good as well.

The 1.5" slip Hayward union is a SP-1495-2S, a 2" slip is SP-1498-2S. I know that you don't like the Chinese stuff, but I believe these are made there...I don't have one on hand to look though.

The O ring for the 1.5" is SPX1495-Z-1, 2" is SPX200-Z-3

You can find all this stuff online. Even the O rings from the Lowe's unions can be sourced, if you know what to look for (my Lowe's has them).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I second the Hayward recommendation. I bought quite a few 2" unions on line and saved a few bucks, but they were junk. They couldn't be tightened enough and would pop the threads.

The Hayward (and probably Jandy and other name brands) are beefier, have deeper and thicker threads and are much better quality all around. The $5 or so difference is well worth it.

I'm with the Moose - unions good, slip joints bad! :goodjob:

:rant: Here's my mini-rant & pool guy "help" story - I had many of those unions in place. When I replaced my filter DIY, I didn't re-plumb the heater back in (I'm not good at eyeballin' long PVC runs). I hired my pool guy to get the heater back into the loop and he took it on himself to "tidy up" the rest of the pad, cutting out most of those unions & replacing them w/ glued slip joints. :grrrr:

Cheers! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.