Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Install Rant

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Install Rant

I have a question for all you DIYers and pros out there....

Why would you not install a $7 union after you see that the pipe has been cut numerous times?

I mean...I spend lots of time installing these on pools I service to make it super easy to remove a pump/multiport/SWCG. I have really made a business out of it this summer.

Its just one of those things that makes me shake my head when I go to a new client's pool. I have never had one balk at me spending the little extra money to install one yet.

Use this next time

Not this...
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Install Rant

Maybe said installers don't expect to be called back because they suck and they know it? lol

I'm sure someone will benefit from this thread, many times over :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. I'm about to have my pump replaced and add swg as well. I will demand they use unions on both.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I wish I had seen this post BEFORE my pool was done!

I got to looking at my pump and was trying to figure out what I was going to do if/when I needed to work on my pump/filter!

NOW I know what my installer should have used! I think a call back is in my today to make him come back and put some of these in.

THANKS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi msumoose,
    Where's the best place to buy them?

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

6. Back To Top    #6

Anyplace you can buy PVC plumbing supplies - Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi scooperhsd,
    Here's a link to Home Depot for others looking...
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051

Thank You!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    TF-100 test kit
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I get them from my distributors, because I like to use the Hayward brand unions. I know the part numbers for the oring that they use, so I can easily replace those too!

In a pinch, I will go to Lowe's. Their brand is pretty good as well.
    Science and Math Teacher

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi msumoose,
    Would you have a part# for the union and the part # for o-rings to fit it?
    I'll always about spending a little more for better stuff...hate made in China junk, and end up re-buying again!

Chuck
    TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

The 1.5" slip Hayward union is a SP-1495-2S, a 2" slip is SP-1498-2S. I know that you don't like the Chinese stuff, but I believe these are made there...I don't have one on hand to look though.

The O ring for the 1.5" is SPX1495-Z-1, 2" is SPX200-Z-3

You can find all this stuff online. Even the O rings from the Lowe's unions can be sourced, if you know what to look for (my Lowe's has them).
    Science and Math Teacher

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you very much!
    Chuck
    TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I second the Hayward recommendation. I bought quite a few 2" unions on line and saved a few bucks, but they were junk. They couldn't be tightened enough and would pop the threads.

The Hayward (and probably Jandy and other name brands) are beefier, have deeper and thicker threads and are much better quality all around. The $5 or so difference is well worth it.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm with the Moose - unions good, slip joints bad!

Here's my mini-rant & pool guy "help" story - I had many of those unions in place. When I replaced my filter DIY, I didn't re-plumb the heater back in (I'm not good at eyeballin' long PVC runs). I hired my pool guy to get the heater back into the loop and he took it on himself to "tidy up" the rest of the pad, cutting out most of those unions & replacing them w/ glued slip joints.

Cheers!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Boo! I will never understand the "cut it again!" Mentality
    Science and Math Teacher

15. Back To Top    #15

This "cut it again" thing can be billed higher and looks like a bigger job to the client (who will have to pay that bill).

Just my 2c.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.