Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are the Unicel THAT much better?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are the Unicel THAT much better?

New pool owner. Want to get a 2nd set of filters to swap out for cleaning. Looking at the Pleatco PCC60 on Amazon for $29, PCC60-M (Microbial) for $37.69 or the Unicel at $63.96. Are the Unicel THAT much better, and is the Microbial necessary?
    15,000 gal IG Royal Fiberglass Pool (Squire), Intellichlor SWG, Pentair WhisperFlow WF-24 (1hp, SF 1.24, SFHP 1.25), Pentair Clean & Clear Plus (240 sqft cartridge filter, 90 GPM), Built in October 2011

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Are the Unicel THAT much better?

I don't know if one brand is any better than the other, but why on earth would a pool filter need microbial coating? The chlorine would take care of any microbes in the water as long as the recommended levels are maintained.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    North Las Vegas, NV

Re: Are the Unicel THAT much better?

I bought the cheapest cartridges I could find about 4 months ago. Seem to be working great!!! I'll dig for the supplier if your interested.

14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater