Draining a Ultra Frame pool Quick. without a shotgun.

zaxs

Apr 30, 2011
I had to drain my pool. I was trying to use well water, being cheep, but OMG I had a black pool less than 24 hrs after filling it. I used the filter pump to drain all the water and I got it down to less than 2 inches but it could have been better. First I just took the skimmer basket loose from the bracket and let it hang in the pool and I hooked the return line from the filter to a long piece of 1" PVC using one of the adapters so I could pump the water out to the street. I pumped the water down to well below the skimmer fitting in the pool and then removed the entire fitting from the side of the pool. I found that if you take the blue fitting that the strainer hose plugs into you can take the vacuum hose and stuff it inside the blue fitting and it's a pretty tight fit. I then put the vacuum hose through the hole where the skimmer fitting was and started a siphon into the pump laying the pool valve on the ground next to the pump so it was not the high point. This way it did not suck a lot of air into the pump. I then hooked the vacuum hose to the vacuum attachment in the pool and cleaned all the gunk and orange dirt off the bottom of the pool with the vacuum until I had the pool mostly clean. I then left the vacuum attachment in a low spot on and it didn't stop sucking water until there was just over an inch of water. Now I could have done better if I had thought about draining the pool when I was trying to make the bottom smooth. If I ever take the entire pool up again I will make a 2" deep depression about 2' around to create a low spot to drain all the water from the pool. I am pretty sure that it will not effect the pool sides as long as I make the sides of the depression gradual.

bottom line. well water bad. And put a Drain well depression in your pool.

I hear lots of horror stories about people filling their pool with well water, guess I lucked out with mine. Filled with well water and it was perfectly clear, slightly elevated TA but overall clear sparkly water. :-D

Sorry to hear about yours though.

:idea: I did mine the same way.
Well water. Dark as it could be.
then we threw shock in it.
And filtered it for like 4 days. Vacumming it as well

Crystal clear now and I love it

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 192
The water was orange going into the pool and was black after I ran the salt water system for 7 hours. I would have tried to stick with it but I could already see the stains on the liner and was worried I would end up with a clear water pool just to see orange stains on the liner. I am hoping that once I get the water right that shocking it will bleach the stains out.

Chris

Orange water can usually be filtered, though I am not sure the intex filters (I am assuming intex?) could do it. What are you going to use for water the next time you fill? Anytime you can get metal free water in a pool, that is good thing!

Yes it is an Intex pool. I live in Norfolk va so I have city water that is perfect and I have used it for years in my 18 ft blue blob intex pool but they no longer let us report that we filled a pool and not charge sewer charge so I was trying to fill my new 12x24x52 intex pool on the cheep. I filled today and was swimming this afternoon. Just not looking forward to the water bill. I was at the plumbing supply store talking about filling the pool with well water and he warned me about using well water and then he said I rent water meters. I said why and he said you swap out the meter then fill your pool and change it back. I was shocked but when I get the bill I might wish I had.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.