New Build Quote, Houston, TX area

Jun 22, 2012
I've been following the board for a few weeks while evaluating pool builders in my area. I've been through Pool School several times and still have so much more to learn. Below is a proposal from a pool builder that's come highly recommended by several friends with builds ranging from 1 to 7 years old. They all state emphatically they would utilize the builder again.

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS:
POOL SIZE: 30’ X 24’
POOL AREA: Approx.496 Ft.
POOL DEPTH: 4'-5'-4'
POOL PERIMETER: Approx. 86 Ft.

MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT:
FILTER: Hayward Cartridge 4025
FILTER PUMP: Hayward Super II 2 H.P.
WATERFALL PUMP: Hayward Super II 1 H.P. (for the 3 descents and 2 bubblers)
VALVES: Jandy
SKIMMER: 2 Waterway
POOL LIGHT: 2 Color Logic 4.0
MAIN DRAIN: 2 with Anti-Vortex/Anti-Entrapment covers.
POOL CLEANER: Polaris 280 with booster pump
CHLORINATOR: Jandy Aquapure Salt system
TIMER: Intermatic Time Clock
10’ X 5’ Tanning Ledge with 2 Bubblers
16’ Raised Beam with 3 Sheer Descents (5' @ 6" elevation, 6' @12" elevation, 5' @ 6" elevation)
Equipment pad
Standard fill line with anti-siphon valve
3 Benches
2 Volleyball sleeves; 1 umbrella sleeve in Tanning Ledge

STRUCTURAL POOL SPECIFICATIONS:
BEAM: #4 Rebar Continuous / 4 Bar Box Beam
WALLS/FLOOR: #3 Rebar on 8” centers
GUNITE: 7.1 Cement (sack/sand) Ratio
GUNITE BEAM: 12’ Pneumatically Applied @ 4000 PSI
GUNITE WALLS/FLOOR: 6” Pneumatically Applied @ 4000 PSI

PLUMBING SPECIFICATIONS:
1 ½”-2” PVC schedule 40 on all pool plumbing and pump connections.

ELECTRICAL:
ALL of total electrical conduit run complete with all termination switches is included in bid. Pool equipment requires 40-50 amps.

TILE/COPING/INTERIOR SPECIFICATIONS:
COPING: Flagstone or brick
TILE: 6” X 6” Waterline Tile (any tile from Noble catalog except for glass)
INTERIOR FINISH: CLI Sunstone Select or Wet Edge Luna Quartz Exposed Aggregate

DECK SPECIFICATIONS:
AREA: Approx 500 Square Feet
TYPE: Pea-Gravel or Spray Deck
STEEL SCHEDULE: #3 Rebar in a mat
DECO-DRAIN: Included in bid
DECKING: Spray Deck on Existing Patio

POOL MAINTENANCE AND EQUIPMENT:
Maintenance Pole
Vacuum Head
Vacuum Hose
Wall Brush
Leaf Net
4 Way Test Kit (I know, I know....will be buying a TF100 once we get started)

PAYMENT SCHEDULE:
60% due at Excavation, 30% due at Deck Frame-up, 10% (less $500) due at Plaster with the final $500 due at Equipment Startup.

Concerns/Thoughts/Questions:
1) Payment Schedule - obviously weighted for builder and we want to revise this, but several recommendations by people we've known for a few years helps to mitigate this.
2) We opted for no spa because we really aren't spa people. Anybody in the same position end up regretting this in the future?
3) No heater. Pool will get sun from roughly 9am-5pm during summer months. I don't really relish paying $$ for a gas heater and only using it a few times a year. What will a heater buy us, another month at the beginning and end of the swim season?
4) How much should automation cost for this build?
5) Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

Consider a heat pump with cooling. It's an expensive addition, but in super hot weather, oh my the pool is so much better than the tepid bath water it is without one.

I am in baton rouge about 5 hours east and put one in for exactly that and I am so glad I did.

Otherwise it looks ok, except for the draw schedule. There is no way I would go with that. If thing went south for whatever reason (and it does happen! Even to the best of builders) he has the upper hand cuz he is way ahead on money every step of the way.

Automation cost me about 2-2500, and I went overboard on mine, but love fiddling with it.

One thing... More deck. Put as much as you can afford, it will never be too much and it's better to do it now when the yard is torn up than later after you get it all pretty. Do you already have a lot of outside entertainment area?

And it seems everyone from Texas with flagstone has issues with salt systems eating up the coping, so for that reason of your choices I would go with brick. Search the forums for this issue and ask your builder where the flagstone originates from... I think that has something to do with it.

I can't wait to see those sheers, that sounds impressive.

rlyrock said:
16’ Raised Beam with 3 Sheer Descents (5' @ 6" elevation, 6' @ 12" elevation, 5' @ 6" elevation)
A little clarification is in order...the raised beam follows the quoted profile; the actual sheers will be centered on each section and will be 12" I believe. Anything more would have to custom made because the raised beam follows the curvature of the pool.

Not listed but included are 6 return lines.

In addition to the new 500' of decking, we have an existing patio of ~200 sq ft that will be covered with our coating of choice. Due to having a detached garage and large utility easement, the pool and decking will take up the majority of the backyard.

We would love to add a heat pump/chilling option, but it's unfortunately out of the budget for now.

He does not push SWG anymore but will install if asked to. They did say they would only recommend one of several types of flagstone they use due to it being "harder". Other choices are a brick coping (no upgrade) or a cast stone product at a significant cost. They indicated travertine would not be appropriate with SWG.

Somebody else mentioned in a PM the idea of a variable speed pump. Some of the other builders suggested that at an upgrade cost of ~$600. This builder would do it, but thought it was wasted money.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.