new to BBB

May 18, 2012
FC 0
ph7.5
cya50
alk210
8000 gal above ground
sand filter

I used the last of my trichlor pucks on last week, started using 6% bleach on Sunday. Came home and tested this evening after work and my chlorine level was 0, in a bit of a panic I put in a 1lb bag of Potassium Monopersulfate shock that I had to shock the pool. I now have 2 questions, have I made a huge mistake and when can I add Bleach and how much if my family wants to use the pool tomorrow while I at work. thanks for the replies in advance

I only have 96 ounces of bleach which I just added, is it important enough to get it to shock level to go to the store tonight or will that hold me until tomorrow? hate to ask silly questions but this is our first summer with a pool

I live in the midwest, I can make to the store if it is an emergency case tonight, if not it will be tomorrow evening before I can deal with it.

pool calculator shows 265 oz.s does this sound correct?

You're going to want to add bleach tomorrow morning at the latest, but if you can do it again tonight after testing in an hour or so. So yeah, if you can get it now it'll help. Tomorrow evening is far too long to wait. All the chlorine you just added will be for naught.

willybill said:
I live in the midwest, I can make to the store if it is an emergency case tonight, if not it will be tomorrow evening before I can deal with it.

pool calculator shows 265 oz.s does this sound correct?

That's just to get you to shock level right now. In an hour you could lose quite a bit of that, especially since the MPS apparently increases FC loss.

Test and re-dose hourly tonight as long as you can, then at the last dose give the pool a nice big tip. Use your losses (test results) to judge how much you'll need to get through the night. Re-do this tomorrow morning and add a little more to account for the sun depleting chlorine while you're gone.

The point is to remain at or above shock level at all times, as much as you can. Overdosing a bit can help you do this when you're unable to test and re-dose regularly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The "shock" you added may consume some of the FC. Best to add the recommended amount and then test after an hour to see where you are at and add again as required.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Potassium Mono is non-chlorine shock, correct? I'm confused, I (or my parents) haven't bought a bag of shock in 10 years since we had our old pool! (thanks to this place, I learned not too when we got our new pool this year!). Not that I had any part of shocking the old pool, I was 7. I liked dumping DE in back then though! Watching the white in the pump basket was soooo cool.

Okay got to some bleach and added up to shock dosage on the Pool calculator, thanks for the help. One more question, should my family safely be able to swim in this pool tomorrow afternoon before I have a chance to test it?

If you overdose the pool past shock level, no. You should however, dose slightly past shock level each time you add bleach so that when you lose chlorine you're not falling below shock level.

If the family is going to be around tomorrow, I'd find the most reliable one and teach them how to test and add chlorine back to shock level while you're away. Hourly, or bi-hourly all day.

If you can get someone to dose today, to maintain shock level all day it would be good for your pool water (and get this done faster).

If not, make sure to overdose your pool before you take off. Your pool and equipment is safe up to mustard shock levels so give it a big tip if no one but you can dose the pool today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.