1. Back To Top    #1

new to BBB

FC 0
    ph7.5
    cya50
    alk210
    8000 gal above ground
    sand filter

I used the last of my trichlor pucks on last week, started using 6% bleach on Sunday. Came home and tested this evening after work and my chlorine level was 0, in a bit of a panic I put in a 1lb bag of Potassium Monopersulfate shock that I had to shock the pool. I now have 2 questions, have I made a huge mistake and when can I add Bleach and how much if my family wants to use the pool tomorrow while I at work. thanks for the replies in advance
    8000 gal above ground
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new to BBB

Start adding bleach now. You want to keep the FC above 4ppm at all times based on your CYA of 50ppm.

What does the water look like?
    What test kit are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My test kit is the TF100, so its okay to add bleach even after shocking with Potassium Mono?

My water looks fine and my chlorine level was 5 on Sunday
    8000 gal above ground
    sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The only real problem you will see from adding MPS is losing your FC a little faster and lightening your wallet a bit. Just use bleach and follow the sticky here...pool-school/shocking_your_pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I realized I did not know the answer to this and was trying to find out when you responded. Still learning
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I only have 96 ounces of bleach which I just added, is it important enough to get it to shock level to go to the store tonight or will that hold me until tomorrow? hate to ask silly questions but this is our first summer with a pool
    8000 gal above ground
    sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

You're going to need much more bleach. May as well go to the store now. Are you in PST or is it late where you are?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

I live in the midwest, I can make to the store if it is an emergency case tonight, if not it will be tomorrow evening before I can deal with it.

pool calculator shows 265 oz.s does this sound correct?
    8000 gal above ground
    sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

You're going to want to add bleach tomorrow morning at the latest, but if you can do it again tonight after testing in an hour or so. So yeah, if you can get it now it'll help. Tomorrow evening is far too long to wait. All the chlorine you just added will be for naught.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by willybill
    I live in the midwest, I can make to the store if it is an emergency case tonight, if not it will be tomorrow evening before I can deal with it.

pool calculator shows 265 oz.s does this sound correct?
    That's just to get you to shock level right now. In an hour you could lose quite a bit of that, especially since the MPS apparently increases FC loss.

Test and re-dose hourly tonight as long as you can, then at the last dose give the pool a nice big tip. Use your losses (test results) to judge how much you'll need to get through the night. Re-do this tomorrow morning and add a little more to account for the sun depleting chlorine while you're gone.

The point is to remain at or above shock level at all times, as much as you can. Overdosing a bit can help you do this when you're unable to test and re-dose regularly.

11. Back To Top    #11

The "shock" you added may consume some of the FC. Best to add the recommended amount and then test after an hour to see where you are at and add again as required.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Potassium Mono is non-chlorine shock, correct? I'm confused, I (or my parents) haven't bought a bag of shock in 10 years since we had our old pool! (thanks to this place, I learned not too when we got our new pool this year!). Not that I had any part of shocking the old pool, I was 7. I liked dumping DE in back then though! Watching the white in the pump basket was soooo cool.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay got to some bleach and added up to shock dosage on the Pool calculator, thanks for the help. One more question, should my family safely be able to swim in this pool tomorrow afternoon before I have a chance to test it?
    8000 gal above ground
    sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Correct.

Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

If you overdose the pool past shock level, no. You should however, dose slightly past shock level each time you add bleach so that when you lose chlorine you're not falling below shock level.

If the family is going to be around tomorrow, I'd find the most reliable one and teach them how to test and add chlorine back to shock level while you're away. Hourly, or bi-hourly all day.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Correct.

So how does it help? If its not adding chlorine, what does it do?
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

17. Back To Top    #17

Shocked to 20 last night, cc of .5, this morning it is at 16 with a cc of 0. Thanks for the help.
    8000 gal above ground
    sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

If you can get someone to dose today, to maintain shock level all day it would be good for your pool water (and get this done faster).

If not, make sure to overdose your pool before you take off. Your pool and equipment is safe up to mustard shock levels so give it a big tip if no one but you can dose the pool today.

19. Back To Top    #19

FC level this evening is still at 11, CC is at Zero.
    Back to normal maintenance dosage, unless you all suggest otherwise.
    8000 gal above ground
    sand filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Is the water clear? Have you passed the OCLT?
    Those are the other 2 requirements to stop the shock process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator