Rebuild gone bad - liner misalignment

Jun 25, 2012
Rebuilding AG 24'...accidentally left untended during winter storm which emptied pool, shredded liner and semi-collapsed wall (bent in 2 or 3 places) but generally in good shape otherwise.

I removed liner, gorrilla taped small creases/cracks in wall, repacked floor, tried to level (one side had sunk 2-3") under which i laid a series of connected pavers with additional brick support under each support block and then backfilled. I also built up the low area inside the pool with about 1-2' of packed dirt (see pic) and then covered entire floor with new mason sand and several new cove sections (the rest were fine).

Installed new liner in 100degree heat...it was miserable inside pool and i am blaming heat stroke or ? for my next few decisions:

1. i reused the "happy bottom" which was "mostly" in great shape, but i ignored the several areas that were worn/thinned or just missing altogether. I allowed a couple areas to have overlap and a couple small areas have no happy bottom at all.

2. In an effort to "get it done" with my available helpers I rushed the liner install and by the time the water level was above the coving we noticed the liner had only 2 inches overlap on one side and several inches on the opposite side...it seemed to hold as we filled so i just left it.

3. I did NOT install all the uprights at this point but instead just kept filling the pool for about a day...(garden hose is slow) i did install MOST of the uprights later as the pool was half full...then stopped filling overnight.

The next afternoon after work i started filling again and installed several more uprights and even finished a few top rails. Then noticed that a section that i had not installed an upright or top rail was leaning outward and slightly bulging near the bottom rail. I freaked out. I immediately started draining pool (which is very quick using large pool hose)...the wall seems ok...looks better as the water recedes.

Questions: #1. should i take this opportunity to re-align the liner since i'm basically emptying pool anyway? (no chemicals have been added to pool and water was in it for about 1 full day)

Question #2. I know the area that was leaning/bulging was mostly from not having the upright (water pushed to least resistance?) and there was a very slight rise at that support level so i think 2 factors were in play.

Pretty sure i've already lost my mind so any suggestions are ok. (apparently pics arent uploading)

If you are going to drain it I would correct those heat stroke induced bad decisions at that point. I just would personally go bonkers if I knew something was off and I knew I had made the mistake and not taken the opportunity to correct it.

But that's just my craziness.

ok...2 days later...i have now refilled pool AFTER i completely installed all the uprights and top rails. Pool is filled and is no longer bulging at the bottom of wall. I also slightly lowered the upright post which seems to have taken some of the pressure off where the wall as bulging. Liner is holding and i have at least 2 inches of overlap. Sorry my pics won't load.

Holy cow...its great to read that i'm not the only person losing their mind this summer. I would strongly recommend NOT trying to install in 100+degree heat: it does things to your brain. really bummed pics won't load...have some great shots of my support pavers and my inside dirt/sand leveling. will keep trying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.