Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test results - 2 questions

1. Back To Top    #1
    Ottawa, Canada

Test results - 2 questions

In the last week, I worked on getting my pool ready to start up the SWG. Stocked up on the BBB goods and worked my way slowly to what seems like a good balance.

Here are my current test results:

FC: 3
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.4
    TA: 80
    CA: 120
    CYA: 80
    SALT: 3200

Except for the CA, those numbers are all in line with the SWG manufacturer and with the info I found in the stickies.

1- Should I do anything about the low CA level? the manufacturer recommends 200-400. I have a vinyl pool and I think I read somewhere on this site that the CA level was not an issue for vinyl pools.

2- I have quite a lot of cal-hypo (HTH) left from my pre-TFP days. I know tri-chlor and di-chlor will raise the CYA level and lower the PH. I don't think cal-hypo raises the CYA level, but does it have other adverse effects? (Since its already paid for, I'd rather use it all up before I start running the SWG)
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

2. Back To Top    #2
    The cal hypo wont affect CYA but it will raise the calcium. You ar right that calcium is not needed in a vinyl pool and your level right now is fine but raising it a bit by using the fcal hypo won't hurt.