Equipment Upgrade with Easy Touch

phipsi1237

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2011
Tularosa, NM
Ok folks. This may get a little long, but I'll try to keep it on point. I have a pool store working on a quote for an Intelliflo VS with Easy Touch 8 IC-40, along with 2 Intellibrites (spa and pool). I had originally asked for the intelliTouch, but he said I wouldn't need it. The wife wants 2 luminar deck jet things as well, but that may or may not ever happen. I'm attaching an equipment diagram and photo of the pad.

I currently use 3 modes of operation.
1. Normal filtering - Pool Returns Open 75%/Spa Returns Open 25%
Vacuum Open 75%/Skimmer 25%
Main Drain Closed
Spa Drain Closed

2. Spa Only - Pool Returns Closed/Spa Returns Open
Spa Drain Open

3. Run Pool - Pool Returns Open/Spa Returns Closed
Main Drain Open 25%
Vacuum Closed/Skimmer Open

As you can see, my normal filtering includes running the hayward vac and cycling spa water via spillover.

I'm looking for suggestion on the best way I should be running things. What I have going works, but I think the spillover all day long (although barely on) increases my pH requiring additions of MA at least every 2 days.

1. Is there be a better way to route plumbing without going underground.
2. Would it be better to cycle spa water (via spillover) only a few hours instead of the whole time.
3. The pool guy said the Easy Touch may be able to support 3 actuators at most. Is this true? Current operating technique would require actuators on all 4
valves.
4. With some valves being open 25% in one mode and closed all the way in another, is this able to be automated. So, can the automation open the valves to
certain percentages for different modes of operation. Again, pool guy says that the valve would have to be hard set to stop at 25% and couldn't go past
with automation.

ET Operation with Intelliflo: I obviously want it all automated. Ideally, ET would run normal filtering most of the day while swapping to spa spillover for a few hours.

I'm sure I'm missing some questions/concerns. I'll post again if I think of anything else. I think I have confused myself with this. Hopefully it makes sense to everyone else. All ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please don't hold anything back.

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• Pool Equip Diagram.jpg
    Pool Equip Diagram.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 193
  • equipment pad.jpg
    equipment pad.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 190
Exactly why I got the intellitouch. More expensive, but I can do WHAT I WANT and not what some guy says is all I need.

In your situation I would up the skimmer percentage in normal filtering, I had a dedicated vacuum port, but decided I liked a skimmer plate better, as the skimmer is easier to empty than the pump strainer basket.

I would program the spa to turn over once a day, when I was most likely to be outside, and that's all the mixing I would do between the spa and pool, except when you are actually using the spa and pool.

I WISH I had put in laminars instead of regular deck jets. Deck jets are LOUD.

He is right on the valves. To get around this you can use multiple valves, but it requires more actuators.

When he programs it, watch and learn.

Are you getting the Screenlogic? I got it and really think its the cats pajamas. Check it out.

Skimmer Percentage: I can increase that. Vacuum should still be fine. We have slate coping around the pool. Combine that with the palm trees, plants, and high winds....I need to vacuum at least every other day. So, I just leave it in. I do plan on getting an inline catcher for the vacuum though.

Spa Mixing: I'm not sure how many gallons the spa is, but I've always made sure they mix before testing and after adding chemicals. I'm guessing it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

Valves: I didn't follow what you mean. I have 4 valves that I'd like to automate. I understand that I'd need actuators on all four valves. ET manual says "suction valve, return valve, and 2 aux valves." So it seems I could control all 4 valves; however, some valve situations only require partial opening or closing. Is this possible?

I wanted the ScreenLogic, but again, seems he downplayed it along with the Intellitouch. My guess is that it would be much better for the Intellitouch. I'm not sure why he wants to sell me less when I was requesting more. I understand the whole bid process. I don't have the money to blow, but I want what I want. If/when I get other bids, I'll compare apples to apples anyway. As long as I can do everything I want with the ET, then fine. I think the biggest downplay of the Intellitouch over the ET, besides the price, is the lack of a display/controls at the panel. However, if I'm getting ScreenLogic anyway, does it matter?

Thanks again for the inputs. All are greatly appreciated.

Bill

OK. Guess I can change the way I do things to make the valve situation work. I can leave the main drain at 25%. No need for an actuator there. I only would need to run the vacuum a certain amount of time per day. So, at that time, it would be open all the way, no skimmer. Rest of normal filtering would be done with all skimmer, no vacuum.

Not familiar with the relays and such. So, with that, I've re-arranged the operations below. I tried to list everything under each function in order to keep it consistent.

Here's what I need it to do to begin with:

1. Normal filtering/Run Pool - Pool Returns Open/Spa Returns Closed
Skimmer Open/Vacuum Closed
Pool Suction Open/Spa Suction Closed
Main Drain 25%

2. Vacuum - Pool Returns Open/Spa Returns Closed
Skimmer Closed/Vacuum Open
Main Drain 25%

3. Spa Only - Pool Returns Closed/Spa Returns Open
Skimmer NA/Vacuum NA
Pool Suction Closed/Spa Suction Open
Main Drain NA cuz Pool Suction Closed

4. Spa Mix - Pool Returns Closed/Spa Returns Open
Skimmer Open/Vacuum Closed
Main Drain 25%

That's the automation. Then, I need to control the 2 Intellibrites, Heater/temp for pool and spa, blower for spa, optional laminar jets x2.

With an EasyTouch remote, am I over the limit? Seems I'm at least approaching the limit.

Ok. What am I missing?

The EasyTouch 8PSC provides for 4 valve controls and extras can be had by wiring unused relay circuits with SPDT relays. There is also a circuit function called "Spillway" that sets the suction valve to the pool and return valve to the spa, meaning that all of the water goes back to the spa and returns to the pool via the spillway. There is also a circuit function called "Master Cleaner" and when this function is scheduled, it will either activate a booster pump or will turn a valve actuator to the proper position for a suction side cleaner. It does so after a 5 minute delay to ensure the pump is on and primed. This mode is inactivated when the spa is on. Lastly, there are two major modes that are contolled by the "Valves" button at the panel, and the "Spa" and "Pool" buttons at the remote. In the pool mode, the suction and return valves are positioned to the pool plumbing. In the spa mode, these are reversed. Because I like a little spillover from the spa during pool mode, I set the return actuator to stop at about 80% of its travel toward the pool return. This gives a small amount of flow over the spillway and ensures that the spa remains chlorinated at all times.

In your case, all of this can be programmed into the EasyTouch using just three valve actuators, A (suction), B (return) and Cleaner. A fourth valve actuator circuit is on the motherboard for a solar heating valve, though you can use it for other functions. As for the main drain/skimmer, it appears this can be set to 25% and that's it.

So, for your four modes:

1. Pool mode.
2. Master Cleaner mode.
3. Spa mode.
4. Spillway mode.

All of these modes can be scheduled or manually activated. If you have an Intelliflo, you can also choose specific pump speeds for each of these functions.

There is built-in support for Intellibrites, including specific colors and shows. Water temp is determined for either heater or spa mode when these are running with a temp probe after the filter and before the heater. A blower can be added to one of the relay circuits and either assigned to a function button (there are 7 of these, along with the main filter pump button) or via a "comes on with spa" circuit. The laminar jets can be controlled with either extra valves or a feature pump. The EasyTouch can control the features of Pentair laminar jets, including the light color and "bumper" feature. So, all of what you need to do is possible with an EasyTouch 8PSC. BTW, you can get them with or without the Intellichlor.

CraigMW said:
So, all of what you need to do is possible with an EasyTouch 8PSC. BTW, you can get them with or without the Intellichlor.
Would the Intellitouch be a better option though? Seems even with my basic pool, I'll be out of options really quick.

CraigMW said:
Because I like a little spillover from the spa during pool mode, I set the return actuator to stop at about 80% of its travel toward the pool return. This gives a small amount of flow over the spillway and ensures that the spa remains chlorinated at all times.
I do as well, but if I set it at 80% for pool use, I'll be stuck with the spillover for the entire run time during normal filtering.

Anyone else want to chime in on options, good or bad, I'm game. This is an expensive (for me) purchase, and I want to make sure we do it right.

I got the equipment quote today. I'll start a separate post and add the link to it here as well.

EDIT: Link to quote. equipment-upgrade-quote-t50890.html

Thanks....Bill

Yes, there are plenty of options you could come up with. For us, the EasyTouch 8PSC is more than sufficient to handle our needs. You can use the system to fully automate your entire back yard if you wanted. However, we already have a pretty much full blown home automation system in our home, so I looked what I needed for pool automation and decided that the EasyTouch was the way to go. Now, if I had a few laminar jets and other water features, it might be a different story. Right now, I will only be using three of the four valve actuator circuits. If I add solar, I'll use up all of them, though I could run an additional valve off a relay circuit (with some modification). The nice thing about the Intellitouch systems is that they are expandable and you could add quite a bit more stuff. I just didn't see the need. I would suggest sitting down and figuring out what you need on your pool (thinking pool specific). If you want to automate lights, music, water features not associated with the pool, etc, then consider a home automation system.

Our HA is handled by an ISY-99i and Insteon devices. I recently purchased an Autelis bridge to connect to our EasyTouch and soon hope to have web control over the EasyTouch. In addition, this should allow me to bridge my HA system with my EasyTouch. I have a KeyPadLinc switch in the house that serves as "backyard party mode." Currently, when I push this switch, all of the atmosphere lighting is activated in the backyard. This also turns on the pool Intellibrites and the LV lighting on the rock waterfall. I envision having this switch also send commands (via the ISY-99i's networking module) to the EasyTouch to turn on the waterfall pump, activate spa mode, and turn on the outdoor music (via Squeezebox receivers). Instant party! The nice thing is that pushing that button a second time reverses the process, and returns my backyard to normal mode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.