Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Change pump motor from 2 hp to 1 hp - any problems?

Change pump motor from 2 hp to 1 hp - any problems?

I have a 2 hp Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump (model P4RA6G-188L). I'd like to lower the output on the pump and am considering replacing the 2 hp motor with a 1 hp motor, the A.O. Smith USQ1102 for example. My thought is to replace the seal and o-rings but reuse the impeller. Are there potential problems with doing something like this, such as overloading the new motor?

Re: Change pump motor from 2 hp to 1 hp - any problems?

Yes. You can not downsize the motor without also downsizing the impeller ... which may or may not also require additional hardware changes, like the diffuser in the pump

{You can oversize the motor for an impeller though without problem.}
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Looking at my owner's manual the 1.5 and 2 hp Dura-Glas II pumps both have the same impeller (#C105-238PDBA). Based on this I should be able to drop down to a 1.5 hp motor without any problems, correct?

Senior Member In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhawk
    Looking at my owner's manual the 1.5 and 2 hp Dura-Glas II pumps both have the same impeller (#C105-238PDBA). Based on this I should be able to drop down to a 1.5 hp motor without any problems, correct?
    I would be careful about this. As far as I know (and I may be wrong), they are not the same impellers. That said, you need to compare the service factors on the old motor, with the service factor on the proposed new motor.
    In other words Service Factor (SF) x HP = real HP, so a 2HP motor with a SF of 1.1 = 2.2 HP. A 1.5 HP motor with a SF of 1.65 = 2.475 HP.
    Why do you want to do this? If it's to reduce flow, you need to reduce the impeller size. If it's to reduce energy consumption, reducing the motor size will have virtually no impact, and may lead to excessive wear and tear on the motor.
    You're probably better served by doing more research and going to a two speed pump motor with the proper impeller.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

I just went back and reread what you're wanting to do. Changing the motor won't do what you want. The wet end (and plumbing) is the determining factor in how much a pump works. In order to lower the output (GPM) of the pump you'll have to change the impeller and possibly the diffuser. Even keeping the same motor and changing the wet end will accomplish what you're wanting to do.

If you keep the same impeller and went to a 1 hp motor the current draw will be the same.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhawk
    The reason they have the same impeller is because they actually use the same size (Label HP * Service Factor = total HP) motor. One is full rated and one is up rated.

If your goal is to reduce energy costs, what you really want to do is drop the impeller by one or more sizes. The motor does not need to be changed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner, DIY Acid Dosing