Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure gauge

My pressure gauge is running around 20 after replacing the standpipe, manifold and laterals. Before the repair, the pressure gauge was between 10 and 15. Two days ago I found that my manifold was in about 3 pieces hence the replacement. My question is, should my pressure gauge be reading that high? After I backwash and rinse it stays at about 12 for a few minutes and then creeps back up to around 20.
    21 foot by 4 foot AGP, Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, approx. 9100 gallons, install 7/15-7/17/2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure gauge

Sounds like it's clearing some stuff out of the pool that was bypassing it before. I'd say that's a good thing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Excellent Bama! I will keep backwashing then, what should my pressure be at normally? Before I realized that the manifold was in pieces, the filter was pumping sand into the pool faster than I could vac it out.
    21 foot by 4 foot AGP, Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, approx. 9100 gallons, install 7/15-7/17/2012

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd say 12 psi.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

When it gets to 20 psi which is every 30 minutes or so, the return loses a lot of pressure. Once I backwash and rinse it seems to restore return pressure. Water that is coming out of waste while backwashing doesn't look dirty. There is a little sand in sight glass but water never looks horribly dirty.

6. Back To Top    #6

Would not having the proper amount of sand in the filter cause high pressure?

7. Back To Top    #7

Your pressure is fine right after backwashing, so I would guess you have the right amount. Do you suspect (other than from your pressure) that you have too much? How much did you put in?

When your pressure goes up and you backwash, what does the water look like as it is coming out of the backwash port?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

I was concerned that maybe I didnt have enough sand. I put back in what was in there that we took out to repair. The previous owner had just changed sand. When I backwash the water looks clean.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry, i missed that you had already stated the backwash water is clear.

Wow, so your pressure goes up from 12 to 20 psi within minutes and your backwash water is clear?

Something does not sound right with the filter or valve.

Where was the sand level (approximately) in the filter once you had put it back in?

Any bag left over that indicates what the previous owner put in there?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

No left over bags, over a foot of sand is in the filter. Would a bad O ring or air leakage at the top of the filter cause the pressure to be crazy? I noticed last night that it would get to bout 20 psi and the skimmer would loose suction, if i put my hand over skimmer hose and would "plunge" it with my palm suction would come back. Pressure would drop down to around 15 or 16 psi.

11. Back To Top    #11

If the pump is losing suction the pressure should go down not up. When the pressure goes up how is the flow from the return?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Does your gauge go to 0 when the pump is off?

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Is there any possibility that you got sand in the standpipe or laterals when you were putting the sand back in?
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

15. Back To Top    #15

I dont think so. We had duct tape over standpipe when adding sand.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

One other possibility, the previous owner changed the sand with play sand instead of filter sand. Filter sand is much coarser than play sand. Play sand would quickly clog with only small amounts of dirt, causing a quick increase in pressure.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes, since you do not know what sand they put in there, it might be the wrong stuff. Only way to fix that is to replace with new pool filter sand. I am not sure showing us a picture of some of the sand would help...maybe...not sure I would be able to tell without seeing the good stuff side by side.