1st pool, have questions

Jul 24, 2012
Colleyville, TX
Hey all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new house that already has an in-ground pool in place. This will be my first pool, so I'm pretty excited about it. We do, of course, have one issue that I need your help on:

The current owner was upfront about the pool light not working, so we made it a condition in the offer that we wanted the light fixed. They agreed and had 2 pool companies come look at the light to estimate the damage. Both pool companies are reporting the same issue. There must have been damage to the conduit carrying the pool light line and they are unable to trace it to repair it or to tie in a new line. There is no indication on who actually built the pool (older pool), as the current owners aren't the ones that built the pool and there is no documentation available to give us this info. Both companies are telling us the line is damaged and unfix-able without having the pool plans to see where the light wire comes out of the pool, otherwise we'd have to dig up the entire back yard to search for the line. The interesting part is that the spa light works fine and the issue is just related to the pool light. Are they not the same line?

Given that this is my first experience with anything like this, I'm looking to you guys for advice. Any thoughts/recommendations?? I don't think I can pass on a house based on a pool light, as we are otherwise very happy with the house. But, I'd like to figure out if there is a resolution here.

Your help is appreciated!!

I've been in my house for 2 1/2 years and we still haven't fixed the already broken pool light. Don't consider it a deal breaker. I am guessing we would use it if we had it, but we don't miss it.

I'm not letting it kill the deal. We like to sit out on our current patio at night time and wind down, so I'd just like to have the option of sitting out there with the water sparkling. I think we'll call an electrician once we get in the house to see if they can figure anything out, but just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions.

It's not incredibly difficult to find, you just have to have the right equipment. They can put a tone generator on the line that will actually let them find the path of the conduit, and locate the break even, if it severed a line. Someone just didn't want to do it. You need to contact a utility locator service, they do this every day, marking lines underground!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.