First water problem - Little cloudy

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
My fault but I always let me chlorine bottom out. It has always been crystal clear so i never gave it a thought. I check every other day and always have to get it back up to 5ppm from 0. Well, today I learned my lesson.

I left my pump off. I usually turn it on about lunch time but today I forgot. Mental note to get a timer. I walked out after work ready for a dip only to find a light cloudiness to the water. Test results show FC 0 as usual. I usually only add enough to get to 5PPM which is 382oz.

Today I added 450oz and will check daily until I see how much it needs daily to maintain the 5ppm rather than every other day. The pump is running and the water already has a clean blue look but the water is still cloudy. Hoping I didn't let it go too long.

My readings:

FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.6
CYA 40
TA 120

I am mulling over the idea of running the CYA up to 50. Thoughts? I know CYA protects chlorine and since my pool is in 100% sunlight it stands to reason it would benefit from the extra. Thoughts?

I am going to take a dip in a few minutes. It has been running for about an hour now so I figure its safe. I am going to run my first OCLT tonight to see how it comes out.

I know it's been hot as hades here in the D/FW area, but I don't know about going to 50 on your CYA. If you have a problem, it'll be that much harder to rectify.

I'm concerned about you having cloudy water. Before I had my SWG I had a couple of times it hit 0 for a day, but I never had an outbreak. I was lucky every time.

Your TA is kind of high, any idea where your CH is? High TA and CH can lead to cloudy water.

OCLT is a good plan!

I won't mess with the CYA if its a bad idea. I definitely don't want that. My CH has been holding steady at 130 since day 1. My TA is climbing very slowly. 100 to 110 to 120 in a few weeks. Only fresh water has been added. I do have alot of sun screen wearers in the family. Not sure if that has any bearing. I added a scum ball to the skimmer too.

Well, I left it off and went to get my reading just now. 3.5ppm (tested twice to make sure) and water is crystal clear again. Weird. Yesterday even in the pool and under water with goggles on I could see the bottom of the deep end but it was cloudy and had a discolored tinge to it and it kinda had a smell to it, gone now of course. Now, crystal clear and blue. I wish I had gotten a picture yesterday of the before.

On a lighter note, my scumball is working great.

Glock said:
I do have alot of sun screen wearers in the family.

Sunscreen and excessively high bather load can result in water losing a bit of clarity even when chlorine levels are adequate. I experience that effect after every pool party. Extra filtering time takes care of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.