New at this...Electricity

Jul 24, 2012
I live in Mississippi & just bought a 24x56 AGP...the installer didnt give me any info on what I should or shouldnt do regard :? ing electricity to my pump! The first time I heard anything about grounding was this past weekend, since then Ive been afraid to swim in my pool! I have a hayward pump. I contacted the pool supplier & he said it wasnt necessary to have it grounded but everything I have read says that it does....NOW Im also hearing about bonding? I am so confused!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Many above ground pumps are double insulated and don't require bonding. If yours requires bonding there will be a lug on top to put a wire in.

If the panels in your pool are resin, they may not require bonding either. Tell us about your pool and equipment.

I am in the same shape as Tonya. Here are the specs: 33' ABG with 25000 gal, swimpro voyager sand filter with a 2hp 2 speed voyager sp1520 pump. I can't find the gpm pumping. Thanks.

Thanks 4 any help...I have a Pacific AGP it has steel ledge, steel uprights & resin caps, the walls are galvenized steel...a Hayward sand filter system w/1.5 hp pump...I am very confused...the pool supplier said it was not required but Im not so sure

Pool suppliers leave a lot of that info out because it turns customers off. Telling them they have to hire and electrician and do extra bonding work makes the cost go up in customers mind so they conveniently leave that info out. We ran into the same problem, but they threw in a free bonding plate for the skimmer when we politely told him that that $50 plate should have been included with the pool since we bought a full package.

Electrical specs vary region to region. My town hands out the spec they want adhered to when someone gets a pool permit. In my case, it's a weatherproof twist lock plug for the pump 10 feet away from the pool and has to get there using stranded wire in leak-proof plastic piping that is 18 inches deep. Everything also needed to be bonded with a ground loop around the pool. Loads of fun. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.