Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easiest Way to Enlarge Grill Cut Out Opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Easiest Way to Enlarge Grill Cut Out Opening

Has anyone had to enlarge the grill cut out in an outdoor kitchen? When we bought our house it had a 27 inch DCS grill that just died beyond repair and most reasonable replacements require 2-4 inches of additional width. Any suggestions on how to approach or ideas of cost for a carpenter to come in and increase the width. Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easiest Way to Enlarge Grill Cut Out Opening

what's your counter top made of?
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

3. Back To Top    #3

it's made of ceramic tile and the tile runs from countertop into cut out. There is hardiboard underneath for liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

To cut already installed tile, you can use a grinder with a diamond tile blade.

Depending of course on the structure of the cabinetry underneath (the wood). Enlarging any hole largely matters upon if there's support structure under the part you want to cut out.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm partial to angle grinders. Just get the right kind of disk for it and be careful. Maybe clamp down a piece of wood so you can't slip off course. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-ang ... 91222.html
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInNH
    I'm partial to angle grinders. Just get the right kind of disk for it and be careful. Maybe clamp down a piece of wood so you can't slip off course. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-ang ... 91222.html
    I have used a circular saw with a tile blade and also like the angle grinder. A friend of mine who does a lot of tile likes the grinder also.
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the responses. Gonna plan it out and give it a shot.

8. Back To Top    #8

What's under the hardiboard? I would imagine this is built up of either steel studs, or rot-resistant wood of some type (e.g. pressure treated) as the framing. In either case, the cutout for the BBQ head likely was built up with cross members holding up the corners and possibly holding up the bottom of the cutout. To expand the cutout, it may be necessary to redo the frame surrounding the cutout to ensure that it will properly support the BBQ head and the corners of the tiled surface.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.